Cross beak chick.

Update: possibly just for my own records...
Picasso is still doing good. Gaining weight and growing, although slowly. He is still with his flock and not being bullied. He is still eating mash. I hope to one day try to get him to eat dry crumble but Im not sure he can. Im still happy to take care of my little love bug. He brings me so much joy.
He still gets a bath every other day and he LOVES it, actually looks foreward to it. He comes up to me and he has a certain vocalization to let me know he is READY.
He still is very independant although as he is getting older, closer to maturity, I do notice him not wanting other cockerels coming to me for attention. He does have one cockerel buddy (ZipTie) he dont mind getting some attention from me. ZipTie is one of the chicks I rescued, he looked like a vulture baby when I got him. Now, ZipTie is very handsome and almost fully feathered out... He is with Picasso in the flock, not being bullied as well.

Picasso (this afternoon)
*I havent trimmed his beak yet, will do this at next bath time*

20221116_181823.jpg

ZipTie (2 days ago)

20221112_095729.jpg

ZipTie (2 months ago)

20220927_085153.jpg

They're both adorable and look like they're doing well! You're doing such a great job with him and I really enjoyed reading this thread! I love both ZipTie and Picasso's names.

Great job! They both look great 💗

Thank you. I really do enjoy them.

They're both adorable and look like they're doing well! You're doing such a great job with him and I really enjoyed reading this thread! I love both ZipTie and Picasso's names.

Thank you. Its definately been an adventure of ups and downs. Especially with ZipTie. I didnt think he/she would survive, and never thought ZipTie would be so dang cute!!

R.I.P. my little Picasso.

He just HAD to be so damn independant.
I struggled yesterday to allow him to sleep in the coop with his flock. He was pacing and wanting out, I knew he wanted to be with his flock. I wanted him inside. I didnt want him to stress....
Well, I put him with his flock.
He hopped right onto his "spot" on the roost, right between ZipTie and VanGogh.
I regret it now.
He was not alive this morning when I went out. ZipTie, VanGogh, Korn and Izzy were all around him. To me, it looked like they were trying to get him up. All day today, they stayed inside the coop right where I found them this morning.
Everyone else is wandering around in their "clicks" like usual.
Picasso would hang out with me when I was on the back of our property burning brush and wood and stuff....
He would stay right with me, no matter how long I was out there.
I felt it appropriate to build a huge bonfire and put his little body on it and stay right there with it until the fire burned out.
Im going to miss him so much.
I needed him WAY more than he needed me.

Ack. Just read your account and i had terrible shrink wrapping here i had to assist 4 of the 5 chicks that hatched… one came right out on her own. One of my chicks has cross beak - seems to be getting slightly worse… 2.5 weeks old now.. i massage her head a lot right now … just to get used to handling in that way so that if i have to do trimming later she’s used to me handling her head. Here’s my gal.. Elaine.. half Easter egger, half lavender Orpington. I plan on keeping her unless she begins to be unable to eat properly… She’s VERY friendly. Eats and drinks on her own. Her crop is ALWAYS full… havent had to wet the food down YET, but will keep an extra eye on her as she grows. Xxxx

Attachments

• 1C44AFDD-8DAA-45E0-8580-60E1FBD8CB45.jpeg
    1C44AFDD-8DAA-45E0-8580-60E1FBD8CB45.jpeg
    424.2 KB · Views: 3
Ack. Just read your account and i had terrible shrink wrapping here i had to assist 4 of the 5 chicks that hatched… one came right out on her own. One of my chicks has cross beak - seems to be getting slightly worse… 2.5 weeks old now.. i massage her head a lot right now … just to get used to handling in that way so that if i have to do trimming later she’s used to me handling her head. Here’s my gal.. Elaine.. half Easter egger, half lavender Orpington. I plan on keeping her unless she begins to be unable to eat properly… She’s VERY friendly. Eats and drinks on her own. Her crop is ALWAYS full… havent had to wet the food down YET, but will keep an extra eye on her as she grows. Xxxx
Good luck with your little cross beaked cutie :hugs

Back
Top Bottom