Cross beak chick.

What a fighter! Did you know there is a surgery to correct scissor/cross beak? Actually, chickens were used surgery models to perfect various techniques that were later adapted for use in nearly extinct avian species and parrots. It's really amazing to see how these birds adapt. Remember, your chick has no idea it is not normal. She will do all she can to survive and appear to be like all her flock mates. You just need to provide the food and clean up. Good luck with her!
No, i did not!!!
OMG, thank you so very much For this information.
If Picasso can make it to an age where it can survive Anastasia, That is definitely What I will do for it.
I had actually spoke with our veterinarian about an amputation, at the bend abive the foot, what i called the knee for a splayed leg chick, And he said they have to be a certain weight To survive anesthesia.

No, i did not!!!
OMG, thank you so very much For this information.
If Picasso can make it to an age where it can survive Anastasia, That is definitely What I will do for it.
I had actually spoke with our veterinarian about an amputation, at the bend abive the foot, what i called the knee for a splayed leg chick, And he said they have to be a certain weight To survive anesthesia.
There is a surgery to correct slipped tendon in chickens, ducks, peacocks etc., too!

I have read many of the posts about cross beak.
I do understand 100% the importance of keeping one from breeding stock. I understand the devotion it takes to raise one (hopefully) to have a healthy and happy life. I understand its not fair to any chick with cross beak to not get the nourishment it needs.
I have a cross beak chick that hatched (incubator) on July 22nd this year.
It is a Silkie x Satin cross.
I cant determine the gender of course, too young. I have not seen a photo of a chick or adult chicken with as severe cross beak than mine. Im sure one is here somewhere, I just havent found one.
I want to post some photos of it. I do NOT want any bashing of my decision to NOT cull this chick..... If I notice its weight starting to not keep up, I will see what my options are at that time. I am very aware I possibly may have to.
I, personally, cant just cull it as long as its thriving, growing and not getting left out or bullied.
I may regret all of this but I pray it can survive and be healthy and happy.
I dont have a normal job, like most. I am an artist and my studio is on our property, next to our home.
I do as I please and I make pretty decent money for what I call "work". My husband has his own business of 32 years and has no plans to stop anytime soon.
I'm almost 52 years old, a mom, grandmomma, wife, fighter, artist, anything I need to be, I am
I have all the time, finances, compassion, determination, stubbornness and patience to do whatever is necessary for this little chick.
I swear, if I could raise this baby and it be healthy and happy, I would do anything for it, no matter the cost.
However, I do not want it to suffer in any way, what-so-ever. I would be absolutely devastated if I knew I was doing wrong by wanting this chick to live....
I am currently feeding it mush starter, making sure its getting enough to drink, grit and calcium, I'm pulping grass and herbs (anything chicks can eat that grows on our property) insects, fruits, veggies, blooms, whatever i know it can have.. I devote an hour to foraging every day, just for this chick. I actually enjoy it very much.
This chick is not the smallest of the group. Its actually normal in size. There are 2 or 3 smaller chicks. I weigh it on a digital food scale every morning and afternoon.
I have filed its beak a tiny, little bit every day, only to get it used to me having to do it.
It does not try to struggle when I get it out of the pen.
It runs up to the door, when it sees me coming. It does not want to stay with me when im done, it wants to get right back with its siblings and its (surrogate) momma.
I make sure its crop is filling and emptying like it should. I try my best to watch for its poop a few times a day.
It gets vitamins, proteins, fruits, veggies, grass, weeds, seeds and insects. It gets out of the coop when the others do. I allow them out for a few hours every day, while I watch them.
I am so torn on what to do.
I am a nutrurer, a giver, a worker, stubborn and I love my animals more than I LIKE most of the folk I know.
I cant help wanting this chick to grow up and LIVE.
I am so emotional over this tiny little life.
I made a post a few days after this group of chicks hatched from our incubator.
It was a horrible experience that lasted around 31 hours.
Due to 2 incorrectly calibrated hygrometers, my humidity was too low throughout the whole 21 days. Long story short, the chicks that survived, deserve a chance to live.
Now, I will NEVER incubate my own chicks ever again.
It was THAT bad.
I dont know what my true reason for this whole post is, actually...
I guess just to get this off my chest..
If anyone is interested, i would post some photos of my chick.
I have named it PICASSO.
And I love Picasso very much. I am already much too attached to it and I cry when I think about it possibly suffering one day.
I had no idea that cross beak could occur from the humidity being so low. Had I known how much heartbreak I would go through, I would have not opened all those eggs.
....but I did.
Out of 32 eggs, 20 chicks survived. All of the eggs had fully developed chicks inside. The eggs were truly shrink wrapped and I removed every chick as carefully and quickly as I could.
I did break 3 veins and those 3 chicks died, of course. There were 5 chicks with a single splayed leg.
There were 2 with both legs splayed.
There was 2 that suffocated before I could get them out of their egg.
The remaining chicks seemed healthy until 3 weeks old.
I picked these chicks up every morning to make sure they were still okay.
One morning, I found the cross beak..
I immediately started researching...

I am only doing what I feel I should do for Picasso.
Yall dont be too hard on me about this.
I do want to hear your thoughts, opinions and even (kind) scolding will be taken into consideration.

Yall help me do the right thing for this chick. Please.
I have to admit that I did not read all the posts here, but I wanted you to know that it IS possible to raise a cross beak to a ripe old age. I had one that I didn't "help" at all. It's up to nature for him to live or die I believe. So he came up with a way to eat on his own. He grew to be a huge beautiful rooster and I had him for years! He was killed by a bear when he was about 3 (with most of my other chickens, in a 3 bear attack one night), but otherwise he was great. He was friendly too!

Elwood p dowd crossbeak grown up.jpg

Elwoods cross beak Aug 2016.jpg

Good Luck, you would be surprised what is possible! :p

I have to admit that I did not read all the posts here, but I wanted you to know that it IS possible to raise a cross beak to a ripe old age. I had one that I didn't "help" at all. It's up to nature for him to live or die I believe. So he came up with a way to eat on his own. He grew to be a huge beautiful rooster and I had him for years! He was killed by a bear when he was about 3 (with most of my other chickens, in a 3 bear attack one night), but otherwise he was great. He was friendly too!

View attachment 3256446

View attachment 3256448

Good Luck, you would be surprised what is possible! :p
Thank you for this.
I admit I have high hopes for Picasso to survive. It definately has a strong will to live.
I do take extra measures making sure its getting what it needs and some more.
If it dont survive, I will know I did my best, to help.

BTW, that was a very handsome fella. Im sorry about the bears.
Here in Alabama, they arent much of a threat.
We have smaller bears, but dont see them often.

UPDATE ON PICASSO....
I believe Picasso is a cockerel.
Picasso is growing like a weed. He has gotten very fluffy and full of nice healthy feathers. His eyes are bright. His skin is soft.
I decided to NOT go with the feed tube. Picasso seems to wantnto be very independant.
He is most definitely a fighter, a WINNER!!
He is still with his siblings, he waits for me every morning by the coop door.
I let him out while I make his breakfast. He jumps up on the table and paitentle waits for me to tell him its ready.
He jumps in the bowl with both feet, LoL.
When he is finished, he stands there and waits on me to clean his beak, nostrils, face, neck and feet.
He is such a sweet little fella.
When I have him all cleaned up, he hops down and runs all the way back to his coop and waits on me to let him in...
He is drinking water from a "me-made" jug with a nipple plugged in it.
He does better with the nipple jug.
I am so happy with all of my decisions concerning Picasso.
I took him to our veterinarian. I was advised to keep monitoring his weight every morning and afternoon. I write it down in
PICASSOS JOURNEY, a journal just for me, really..
But, I can tell how he is growing, what he likes to eat and what he dont like..
How he seems to connect with me strongly at times, and other times when he only wants minimum intrraction..
He is a very special little guy.
I am still very aware that things could change for him, and I am willing to do whats necessary for Picasso...
As long as he will have a good quality of life. All I want is for him to be able to live a full happy, healthy life...
So much so....
I am SERIOUSLY considering starting a special needs coop. As I have 3 chicks right now that are SPECIAL...

Picasso just had his bi-weekly scrub down, he really seems to enjoy it.
I wanted to show yall how much his beak has moved.
He is still doing great, thank goodness. I caught him picking up some starter crumbles this morning.
He is such an inspiration to me when I feel like my world is coming down around me. He pulls me back away from the ledge. He has no idea how much I appreciate his tiny little life... its so very big to me.
I love him.
20220929_153035.jpg

Last edited:
I have a cross or scissor beak too, Edwina, just like yours but bottom mandible on the other side. I make sure she has a deep bowl to eat from, trim her beak monthly & a few treats. She's a busy little character always at the front for fuss ❤
Looking at pics I'm thinking maybe Edwina's a boy - Edwin!

Last edited:
I have a cross or scissor beak too, Edwina, just like yours but bottom mandible on the other side. I make sure she has a deep bowl to eat from, trim her beak monthly & a few treats. She's a busy little character always at the front for fuss ❤
Looking at pics I'm thinking maybe Edwina's a boy - Edwin!
Awe, i would love to see Edwin(a) photo. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom