Found a chicken - I think I want to keep it!

4 is a great number! I have that kennel and raised my pullets in it. It's really sturdy and solid - nicely done! Do you have a branch you can put in there so she has a roost? I put branches across the middle towards the back on different levels and my pullets enjoyed jumping from branch to branch. What are you feeding her?
Sounds like you're doing a great job!

Quote:
Thanks
smile.png

I do have a branch in there for her roost. I never knew chickens slept like that. I guess I never gave it much thought. First I used PVC pipe and I was so proud of how ingenious I was to use that as a roost..... that is until Pecker tried to use it and couldn't stay on. Duh! So now she has a nice branch she can grip.
lol.png

I went to the local feed store and bought a bag of Universal Poultry Feed - Lay crumbles. I don't know, it's what they recommended. I've also given her lettuce, apple and watermelon.

Quote:
I'm afraid she is just as vulnerable on the patio table as on the grass. A raccoon will think nothing of jumping on a table.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Aubrey. I hope that you'll be able to put together something a bit safer for her. Also, you can leave quite a bit of food out and let her free feed. They generally will just eat what they need.

It's all a lot to manage when you become a "sudden" chicken person with no time to plan. Good luck with her
smile.png

Quote:
Here's a couple pictures of her the day I found her ... actually, she found me

032.jpg

037.jpg

It looks like her wings are clipped. I'm also thinking she's molting. There are patches where the feathers are missing. She doesn't walk or stay on her feet for long. That seems to be getting better, she has more energy now. But she still sits after taking a few steps.

I wish I could tell how old she is.

I often wonder if she wasn't just let go because of her condition. Or is her condition a result of her escape and something happened on her journey to my house. I guess I'll never know.

Back
Top Bottom