Found a duck. She can't walk, one swollen foot and leg

The vet confirmed that it is bumblefoot however he didn't think she needed antibiotics. I hate to disagree with the vet but Everything I read says that if it goes too long and is severe enough antibiotics are needed so the infection does not spread. So I'm really not sure what to do about that. I soaked her in epsom salts, sprayed both feet with vetricyn. This action seemed to take the heat out of that swollen joint. And now that the feet are clean it is obvious the other foot has bumblefoot as well. I gave her water with probiotics and electrolytes formulated for chickens and ducks. She is eating and drinking good. I will soak her again tomorrow and apply Vetrycyn after work (I'm off at 1) and then again later in the afternoon. I also plan to get some vet wrap and wrap both feet with gauze or cotton squares. My neighbor who assisted me last night in capturing her has Cephalexin capsules at 500mg. Should I treat her with that and if so can anyone tell me the dosage and the best way to administer. Please let me know what you all think. I really want this girl to live and have the opportunity to provide her with the life that she deserves. Whoever she belonged to before I found her clearly should NOT EVER have an animal. :(

Here is one bit of info http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/cephalexin
She def should be on an antibiotic and get some drawing salve and start using that before you wrap. If the drawing salve and antibiotic don't seem to be working then you might have to open up the bumble and get the core out. But try the antibiotic and drawing salve first.
Continue soaks too.
Your doing all you can and your awesome for bringing her home and caring for her.

Thank you ! Thank you ! I have a horse that is prone to abscesses so I have drawing salve on hand! I will start the antibiotic today. I sure appreciate the help ! <3

Yes, she needs antibiotics and a strong broad spectrum one. I went through this with my Pekin hen in 2020 (I believe) and after 8 months of battling with new and recurring infections, she was finally infection free. I had to remove some of the pus in her ankle for it to finally recover, but I would try antibiotics first. I ended up needing Baytril at a fairly high dose to finally get on top of the infection.

Thank you for your input ! All the suggestions I can get are great! I will do anything I can for this girl :)

So if the dossage is 50-125 mg/kg and my capsules are 500 mg. I should dose her with about 1/5th of the capsule contents. Would that be just one dose a day ? And how would you all go about it ? I have syringes I could mix with water and dose that way. Or put it in her drinking water ? I have a small bowl that I am giving her water in (I refill it multiple times a day) so that she doesn't spill it all over and then have to lay in wet shavings or on a wet towel. And if I put a few meal worms in there she will drink it all at once :) This would be the easiest for me as I don't really have anyone to help me on a daily basis and holding her and making sure I get the meds down her throat and not down her esophagus could be difficult during the times when I don't have any help.

Thank you for your input ! All the suggestions I can get are great! I will do anything I can for this girl :)

So if the dossage is 50-125 mg/kg and my capsules are 500 mg. I should dose her with about 1/5th of the capsule contents. Would that be just one dose a day ? And how would you all go about it ? I have syringes I could mix with water and dose that way. Or put it in her drinking water ? I have a small bowl that I am giving her water in (I refill it multiple times a day) so that she doesn't spill it all over and then have to lay in wet shavings or on a wet towel. And if I put a few meal worms in there she will drink it all at once :) This would be the easiest for me as I don't really have anyone to help me on a daily basis and holding her and making sure I get the meds down her throat and not down her esophagus could be difficult during the times when I don't have any help.
What medication is it? In this case, I would either mix the appropriate dose with a small amount of water or mix it with some coconut oil and freeze it for a minute or two. Before it completely hardens, form the mixture into a tablet shape so it freeze in a shape that's easy to get down her throat.

What medication is it? In this case, I would either mix the appropriate dose with a small amount of water or mix it with some coconut oil and freeze it for a minute or two. Before it completely hardens, form the mixture into a tablet shape so it freeze in a shape that's easy to get down her throat.
Cephalexin capsules at 500mg. Thank you for the suggestion. That is a great idea. I have coconut oil on hand too !

Wanted to post an update on this duck now called Sugar Foot. I have been soaking her in epsom salts, daily. The black, scabby stuff on both feet has been removed. I apply Vetericyn after each soak, then apply neosporin and then the drawing salve. I loosely wrap both feet in vetwrap to keep them clean. I noticed that she also had a severe case of feathermites (poor girl) So washed her with dawn soap. She is not at all waterproof so she spent that afternoon in a crate in my bathroom with a space heater going to keep her warm enough. I have since purchased a recommended product at the feed store to treat her for the feather mites. I have been giving 100mg of cephalexin 2X a day. She seems to be doing much better. Not walking yet but using her feet to "scoot" forward and back. The bad foot is still very swollen at the "ankle". I am worried it needs to be drained. Not sure if I can handle doing that... I am hoping that over the next few days the drawing salve and antibiotics will do the trick. But so far so good. Please keep your fingers crossed for her and if you can think of anything else I could be doing for her please let me know.

Thank you !!! Since the area was hot I was really worried about infection too so I called around and found a vet that would take a look at her. Not exactly local but close enough for me to make the trip. Luckily we are slow at work and I could get away. I dropped her off and they will look at her when they get a chance. I will try to remember to post updates here as I get them.
Thank you for taking her to a vet.

Back
Top Bottom