1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

found a great design!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TreyClark281, Jul 3, 2007.

1. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i found a great design on ebay it features a auto watererererere lol and a auto gravity feeder!
    Here is the link!

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Wow... that is a really nice looking design! I wonder how clear / easy to follow the plans are. If they are really well laid out and easy to read / follow then they may be worth the cost. The reviews from others look good.

3. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    ya i wish i found it earlyer i would of built it! but i spent about $200 on mine!!!!

poor dad! lol i did all the labor hahaha. now i have to beg him to get the chickens lol!
    might get them tomarrow!!

4. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    where is the enclosed portion for them to keep warm in during the cold?

5. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Don't like wire bottom. If put in solid floor, how do you clean dung?

6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    With a wire bottom, the dung falls out. Makes it pretty well self cleaning. You would have to shovel out under the coop if you had a lot of birds in it. Or, you could put the unit on skids or wheels and move it around occassionally.

I would redesign the feeder myself. The loading port is far to high and small to be user friendly. And as it does not hold a full bag of feed, that's frustrating.

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I think it's a fine coop for a small flock of free rangers who only spend the night there. I think if it was closer to the ground, thus making filling the feeder easier to get to, and the feeder could be resized to hold a bag of feed would be good. I'd also have the nest boxes closer to the floor to reduce foot stress when hens come out of a nest and jump back down onto the wire. I'd definately replace that chicken wire on the front with hardware cloth, though. I think it's a great design which just needs a bit of modification. For cold climates in the winter wooden covers could be made for the front and a piece of plywood slipped onto the floor and shavings added for warmth. A short but long door could be added for placing and removing the plywood floor. Jes sayin.....

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  8. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i would also change the flooring i just found it on ebay

9. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a pretty neat coop. But I think I would give it a solid floor, then remove the nextboxes from one side and have it be a large cleaning door/wall (seems a bit small to warrant eight nestboxes anyway). And maybe some plexiglass removable winter-coverings for the screened sections.

It's a cute design though, and the auto feeders are convenient.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's cute but I agree with the floor. Wire isn't good on the feet and I would imagine it starting to sag with the weight of 8 chickens on it, even if it was welded wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by