Found a hidden dozen

LJ33

Songster
7 Years
Jul 7, 2015
SE Wisconsin
My 6 laying hens have lived in half a barn for the winter and have a nesting box. About 6 weeks ago I cleaned out a large "room" of the barn and let the girls play in their during the day. Last weekend I moved 4 pullets to the barn and locked them up in the "room" until they are fuller size to be integrated with the rest. I went to clean out a few more random items in this room and I found 13 eggs all in a nice little nesting circle. (floor is covered w straw/hay).

I know it was my legghorns, they are the only ones in my flock who lay white eggs.

question is, are they ok to eat> I live in NE Washington state, Been pretty cold here still, although getting into the 40's some days over the last month. Below freezing some nights.

Is there some water test that works? Put the eggs in a bowl of water and see if it floats or sinks?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Question..... How long have they been there. If they are less than 2 weeks, I personally would have no problem with them.
If you are not sure, try the following..... and it has happened to me as well. I found a clutch of eggs that one of my hens was laying in secret. I took all those eggs and boiled them.. Then I fed them back to the chickens. I cracked them and chopped them into small pieces. shells and all. Its like recycling the eggs back thru the chickens.
As I looked at the eggs, nothing looked bad or abnormal as I chopped them up. I just played it safe since was not sure of how long they were there.
Bottom line.... Don't throw away.
pop.gif

Question..... How long have they been there. If they are less than 2 weeks, I personally would have no problem with them.
If you are not sure, try the following..... and it has happened to me as well. I found a clutch of eggs that one of my hens was laying in secret. I took all those eggs and boiled them.. Then I fed them back to the chickens. I cracked them and chopped them into small pieces. shells and all. Its like recycling the eggs back thru the chickens.
As I looked at the eggs, nothing looked bad or abnormal as I chopped them up. I just played it safe since was not sure of how long they were there.
Bottom line.... Don't throw away.
pop.gif
I did the water float test. They all sank and laid on the side, which is supposed to indicate they are fresh. I scrambled one up this morning and it tasted just fine.

I figured out the earliest they could have laid those eggs would be March 1st. So 4 weeks. In the cold weather we have had, I feel ok eating them
Photo of my hidden treasure
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom