Found a Lemon Blueberry Bread recipe...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by MaggieRae, Jun 9, 2010.

1. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    And I really liked it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lemon Blueberry Bread

For any of y'all who have trouble clicking the link, I can copy and paste the recipe below:

Ingredients

* 1/3 cup melted butter
    * 1 cup white sugar
    * 3 tablespoons lemon juice
    * 2 eggs
    * 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1 teaspoon baking powder
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 cup milk
    * 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
    * 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    * 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    * 1/4 cup white sugar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
    2. In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, 1 cup sugar, juice and eggs. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk. Fold in lemon zest, nuts, and blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan.
    3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl. Remove bread from pan and drizzle with glaze. Cool on a wire rack.

A very dense quickbread that didn't come out as lemon-y as I expected, but still delicious and a great way to use up blueberries. I may try to make this with blackberries tomorrow. Would make a great breakfast bread (as it will be eaten tomorrow) or dessert (as it was eaten tonight). [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    So boost the lemon zest or even add some extract, but how to lighten it? Baking is not my strong point. That looks lovely, and it blueberry season!

4. Whitewater

Whitewater Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Oh, yum, that looks and sounds fabulous! And since it's a quick bread, I may bake a loaf once for me to try, and if it's as good as it looks and sounds, I'll be making more for birthdays and Christmas!

Whitewater

5. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Yum, I made a Lemon Blueberry cake tonight with lemon cream cheese frosting. Must be that time of year, lol.

6. Jaguaress

Jaguaress Chicken Addict Wanna-be

May 27, 2010
    Piedmont, NC
    Oh yum that sounds good! [​IMG]

I'm always available as a taste-tester, if anyone wants to send me samples. [​IMG]

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    [​IMG] It looks fabulous!

I'm off to pick blueberries this morning. I may have to try this. Thanks for the recipe.

edit: typo

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  8. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Thanks for the recipe , gonna have to stop by the green grocer on the way home....

9. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:I added extra lemon zest and a lot more lemon juice to the second loaf, and it came out much better. The consistency is kind of similar to pound cake. Very filling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by