found a parakeet!

Birdman18

Songster
14 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Today while i was on my way to go in the garden, I noticed a bird near me that flew away since they saw me walking around. I thought it was a cardinal or mockingbird, but then I took a closer look at it sitting on a chain link fence it was a parakeet, a yellow parakeet to be exact. Someone in the neighborhood probably lost it and now its flying loose. I bet the reason why it was near my garden today is because I have a pen with doves and quails around and that may of attracted the bird to go near them to find food to eat. I did leave some bird seed out hoping it will come back so I can catch it.
It seems to me that every summer I notice especially parakeets that are found flying around, are people not closing the bird cage's door closed? I'm not sure what the reason is. Is it because they aren't a too expensive bird to purchase in pet shops and children can get a hold of them easily then not care for them.

Many times in the past I caught a few parakeets that I found flying in my garden, I just didn't feel it was right leaving the bird flying around with no one to care for it. And the fact it most likely won't survive without food and water especially during the winter months.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for the bird in case I spot him. Hopefully he'll get hungry and come back. I could maybe try leaving a cage out their but I'm going to see if it even will come back first.

Sometimes birds get out an opened door or window when people have them out of the cage. I've had a 'keet fly after someone who was leaving the house, luckily it was dark and the bird was coaxed back in with lights on inside. Maybe parakeets are sneaky and zippier than other birds which is why you find them more often.

Would be awful if people felt because of their price they were disposable and therefore more careless with them. But I'm sure there is a percentage who think that way.

Nice of you to try and catch this bird. An open cage with yummies might be just what that little guy needs.

Thanks Guys for replying!
smile.png

This morning I heard the parakeet near my garden again, so it must be hungry to have stayed in the area and not fly off away. I'll try that, leaving a cage filled with bird seed might be a great way to catch him. I know it was a parakeet because of its sounds and that long tail, parakeets have, so it wasn't a Gold finch.

I appreciate it!

Why cant i ever find stuff like that!!! Most probably get out because people are to lazy to rehome them so they release them.

Back
Top Bottom