Found a pigeon!!

I would say that is a male adult pigeon. Especially in those photos his neck seems large and very iridescent. You are right he will never fly again. If you pen him with a female pigeon they may pair up. Best of luck to you and keep me posted if it not too much trouble. You are a "NEW EGG" as well! Good Stuff..

Last edited:
Ok awesome thank you!!!! Should I try to pair him? He is in the coop with my chickens and gets to come out during the day an gets cooped at night(well in coop today since it snowed)! Yay for "new egg's"lol!!! I will definatly keep you posted thank you so much for the info!!

Oh that's crazy!!! Just outstanding! I am going to get some guineas this weekend and the guy raises pigeons as well so I will get him a friend;)

That is like asking is the Pope Catholic!
Sure I would pair him!
(If you talk to any one in my family I am an addict when it comes to pigeons)
I would use him as a foster parent most likely if his off spring had little to no homing ability. There is a training ritual when it comes to homing pigeons. They have tons of information on line now. I would have love to have excess to back when I was in my teens.

My best homer when I was a kid was a feral pigeon. So just for the record do not let any one tell you feral pigeons have NO homing ability. Like I said before pigeons ALL have some the question is how much. My feral could make it home from over a 500 mile toss.

Check out this link you may get the pigeon bug!

Yours truly
Hokum Coco

Oh! Just for the record Ket806 feral pigeons will home better when they are young and imprinted on your loft and subjected to a gradual training ritual starting off at small distances on the 4 points of the compass and gradually increasing it. Just to remind you there is lots of information on line now on training homing pigeons.

If you are not prepared to suffer losses it may not be the game for you however. You always seem to loose that favourite bird that maybe you hand raised for example. Or an old feral that everyone told you was a waste of time.

I personally do not keep any homer prisoner and any bird I purchase from a breeder is told to keep the bird if it returns. If you buy an adult homer keep it for at least 3 batches of eggs with it's mate before you free fly it. Then your chances are better that it may stay in your loft. Any birds that are bought as squeakers or young birds should be no problem after about 2 weeks of getting to know their new digs.

Hope this helps what every you decide,
Hokum Coco

Thank you so much! I will start researching and hopefully it'll work for me!!! I will keep you posted and hope the time healing his wing and time pairing with his friend he will soon get will work to keep him at the coop:)

Wanted to give you an update of pidgy....

He had been doing great and seemed to be getting to know me so well! Then
He was out free ranging one day and disappeared! Then after a 2 day search he returned and heartbreakingly I found him in the duck pond frozen in:'( it was horrible!!!! He returned and I guess was thirsty so he tried to get water from the duck pond and froze in the water while trying to keep his head up:( I felt like crying:'(' I can't help but think if I looked in the ponds lastnight when I was pinning everyone I could have found him:( it really stung when I went to break the ice this morning and found him:(

That is tragic; I do not know how a small bird can leave such a large hole in your heart after just a short time; I do know I have experience the same thing it can sure tug on your heart strings.

Ik it's amazing how attatched we get:( it sure is horribly sad!! Pidgy did make me want maybe 2 more but that'll be a while:(

Back
Top Bottom