Found a stray chicken in the road hit by a car

Muffinburgler

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Watsonville, CA
Driving my sister to school this morning I saw something black laying on the side of the road. On the way back I slowed down to look and it lifted its head to stare at me. It was a chicken! So I went home, grabbed a towel and a cat carrier and went back and swooped her up.

She has fight left in her, she'll struggle if I touch her wrong, but she's exhausted. I don't know how long she was on the side of the road. Her legs don't seem broken but she has some bad road rash on the side of her head and her wings are drooping. I don't know if they're broken or she has brain damage now. Currently she's laying on her side looking pretty dead until I touch her.

I'm giving her half an hour in a dark warm box to decide if she wants to live or die. If she decides to live I'm going to try and patch her up. Any suggestions of how to do this without traumatizing her more?

Unless she is bleeding profusely, I would just put her in a box in a quiet, darkened place for 24 hours. Leave her food and water. Use electrolytes/vitamins in water. Maybe drip a bit onto her beak. Then, just leave her alone for 24 hours..checking ever so often to make sure she hasn't died.

Well it's been 24 hours and she's still alive, but not looking happy. Her tongue is hanging out and she hasn't moved from the position I left her in 24 hours ago. I'm not sure what to do for her right now other than medicated water and soft food. I'd like to make her more comfortable but I don't want to end up causing more damage.

I ended up taking her to the vet, and $371 later she's on three meds and had all her wounds stitched up. Here she is!

Can anyone name her breed? I know she's a bit banged up and it's hard to tell, but she has a pretty distinct comb.

So far she can't walk, but she feels pain in her legs and she can twitch them, so I'm hopeful she'll walk again someday.

Looks like a black australorp. She was lucky you found her! Hope she makes it.

Editing because it like she might have green legs. Maybe a mutt? Australorp/Easter egger?

Last edited:
Oh, poor baby! I'm glad you are taking such good care of her. You're a good chicken person
thumbsup.gif
Hope she makes a complete recovery!

I thought she looked a bit australorpy, if slightly tiny for one.

So far she can't stand. Propped her up on her feet to see how well she did and she couldn't do it. Really really hoping she'll get back into it soon, it would just break my heart to have to put her to sleep if she never learns to walk again.

Just a bit of a month later update:

Her name is now Crash, and she's slowly starting to use her legs again. She's able to lift herself up for a couple seconds, but other than that she can't do much else. I'm sure he leg muscles are pretty weak after not being used for so long.

I was wondering if I could help her along with stretching her legs for her. Do you think I should give it a go or should I just let her work on her legs on her own time?

Good update!! =)

I would just let her do her own thing. She's made it this far to stand!!! She can do it! Just wait and see....

Back
Top Bottom