Found abandoned duckling. Its very afraid.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Julzz, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Julzz

Julzz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Hi!
    I found and abandoned duckling about 2 weeks ago. It was about a week old I'm guessing. I read a lot about taking care of it. It's drinking and eating well.
    BUT, its still soooo scared of me! Even when I just come close to its "home" it hides, it runs, etc. When I put my arm in the container to change its water or give him food, it starts running all over the place.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how I could help it be less afraid of me? He seems so miserable... but it's still too young to let it go back into the wild, it will probably die...

Please help!

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC! If you want him eventually out in the wild then I'd take him to a wildlife rehab place.

3. SouthernPride

SouthernPride Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Where are you located? Can you post a picture?

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Welcome to BYC!
    Going to be tough keep it and release it. Best advice was to find a wild life rehabber or an animal shelter that takes fowl. If it becomes dependent on you, releasing is not going to be a good option for it.
    Good luck and thank you for saving this little one.

5. Julzz

Julzz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    The rehab center that I found is more than 4 hours away from where I live. I called the vets and natural resources and they won't do anything. This little guy deserves the best, if I have to, I'll keep him safe for as long as it lives... But we do have very harsh winters here and as I said, he's still very afraid of my presence.. I kind of feel stuck !

6. Julzz

Julzz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Heres a picture of when I found the little guy (or girl) [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Call the rehab center they maybe willing to meet you half way. sometimes they have people traveling that will take animals to a different location. So you never know till you try. If you have harsh winters and your wild duck is one that migrates you may end up having to keep it inside to keep it alive. Especially if it's by itself.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think that maybe a Muscovy duckling, Do you have Muscovy's living near by? they don't migrate. unless you live in Texas... Does the lil one have a stuffed animal to cuddle with and also a non breakable mirror will help it feel secure.Does it have a pointed tip to it's bill?

here is some info on caring for ducklings.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  9. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    It could be either a wild/tame muacovy, a wild/tame mallard, or a roeun.
    @miss ladia, I agree, does it have a painted bean. The bean is the end of the bill. If not, then maybe a mallard.

What I mean by tame is that its parents were domestic while it was abandoned.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Doesn't have the Mallard eye stripe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by