Found another clutch :(

jimz1

Songster
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Coleman, Wi
We found another clutch and this time it had 21 eggs in it. They are not all from the same hen. They were behind a storm window leaning up on the side of the garage. We want the eggs ., not chicks right now. The girls have been free range all day and locked in at dusk till dawn. Hate to have to put them back in a run. Any suggestions?

Can you leave them in the coop/run a little longer until at least a few have laid?

You might not catch all the eggs in there, but you'd at least be getting some.

We've been getting 7 a day from 12 hens. They are usually let out of their coop around 9 am. Do you think I should wait till noon? Will they get used to laying in their boxes?

I only have three so probably aren't the best person to ask, but I notice with my girls, if I let them out and one hasn't laid she'll go back to the run when she feels the urge and pace back and forth in front of the door until I open it for her. Maybe you could keep an eye out for a few days and see if they give you signals like that?

Mine all run back to the nest box no matter where they are outside. It's really funny, because they need me to come with and sit with them. They don't like to be alone.

Lock them up for a whole day or two, maybe even a few days. You could also let them out after 4-5pm for a few days as well. I think 12pm is too soon. Each hen lays every 25 hours and mine have laid up to 5-6pm before. Usually if they lay that late, they take a break the next day.

I'd lock them in for a couple days. Then you can start to let them out again and see if this corrects the problem. I just had the same thing happen (only 3 of my six are laying) and I was so worried that the girls weren't feeling well. I was getting one egg a day instead of three. I found their hidey hole though and locked up up. Now they are back to laying where they should.

Quote:
Mine do that too. Like they have to go. they run over to the coop and go in. then come out yelling about what they did and then go back to free ranging.

They only get to free range a few hours a day

mine did that too, I locked them in for about 3 days, didn't let them out till afternoon...now all eggs are at least inside the coop, most in the boxes, one newbie on the floor.

Quote:
x2 and I swear by having egg decoys in the nesting box ... or even take from the pile you just found and put one in there. My girls free range for most of the day and when my first girl laid her first egg she ran all the way to the coop by herself and laid in the nesting box. I think its because there are golf balls in there.

Quote:
x2 and I swear by having egg decoys in the nesting box ... or even take from the pile you just found and put one in there. My girls free range for most of the day and when my first girl laid her first egg she ran all the way to the coop by herself and laid in the nesting box. I think its because there are golf balls in there.

the fake eggs really do work! i currently have 2 (i think thats all) chicckens laying. one has been laying for almost a week, and every egg has been in the nest box.

Back
Top Bottom