found baby birds......pics added!!!

Here is some info you may find useful :)

Dehydration

An orphaned bird is likely to be dehydrated. Do not put liquids into a baby starling's mouth, however; doing so could kill the bird by causing it to aspirate or drown. Instead, put drops of liquid on the outside of the beak, or feed the bird a liquid-rich food such as watermelon.

Food

In the wild, baby starlings are mostly fed insects, so the food you feed should be high in protein as well. Do not feed them worms you find outside because they can have harmful parasites. Dog or cat food mixed with water and applesauce is a good choice.

Feeding

Depending on the age of the bird, feed it every 20 minutes (for nonfeathered babies) to 1 hour (for feathered babies) during the day. To hand-feed it, use a stirrer or popsicle stick. At 1 month, the baby may be old enough to begin the weaning process, though it won't be completely weaned until about 8 weeks

Starlings I think too. very tough little guys What you are feeding will work for now then add worms latter. I raised one two years ago from just about the size.Named him Goober.When he finally went outside he would come when ever I called!! Most see these as pain in the butt birds however their vocabulary and antics are highly entertaining Good Luck!!!
wee.gif

yeah I'm feeding every 20-30 minutes, little booger is a piglet, so we named it Chubnut!!!! Everytime I come near the box it opens its mouth. I was just thinking the game bird started had things for delicate birds and high protein, then extra with the boiled yolk. I'm going to get some mealworms tomorrow and see how that works. My boys are already catching bugs to help, haven't given any yet though.
Its definatly a song bird and from everything that I have seen they prefer insects so I think I'm feeding them right.

If they are starlings I have a recipe for food for them. Well my wife does. I will try to post it later. What I do remember of it it was a good quality dry dog food. One hard boiled egg, A tums tablet for calcium. some vitamin drops and a couple other things. but that at least gives you some options. you soak the dry dog food so that it is a thick paste. the babies will eat it right off the tip of a straw or something like that. You do not have to put it down their throats. I raised two of them from this size about 2 years ago. The first took off right away the other lived in our living room for until last summer when all the girls out back finally got to appealing.
If you can put up with it they will learn to fly in your house. otherwise you must have a flight cage. Not only do they have to learn to fly they have to build up their strength and speed.

i have a nice cage that will do from a friend. I will post pics in a new post to track chubnut's status...

Back
Top Bottom