Found baby chick

Lady507

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
Hello, I found today a baby chick lost in a park that seemed injured. It looks like it happened a while ago as it has healed but he still had blood all over him. So excuse his dirtiness on the photo, I cleaned him up but didnt want to bother him too much as he is pure bones and that part looks very painful. I’ve only been applying antibiotics and he started eating immediately. But my question is what gender is he/she? I thought it was a girl but others have told me it’s a boy. I thought BackyardChickens always knows.

Attachments

• E5CD13C2-D0D5-40F2-8B36-27BD57379E66.jpeg
    E5CD13C2-D0D5-40F2-8B36-27BD57379E66.jpeg
    740 KB · Views: 28
  • 372A9EB5-613B-4E1A-B14D-D7D12DE79184.jpeg
    372A9EB5-613B-4E1A-B14D-D7D12DE79184.jpeg
    619.4 KB · Views: 21
Hello, I found today a baby chick lost in a park that seemed injured. It looks like it happened a while ago as it has healed but he still had blood all over him. So excuse his dirtiness on the photo, I cleaned him up but didnt want to bother him too much as he is pure bones and that part looks very painful. I’ve only been applying antibiotics and he started eating immediately. But my question is what gender is he/she? I thought it was a girl but others have told me it’s a boy. I thought BackyardChickens always knows.
That’s a cockerel! Great job on getting him! Do you have a picture of the injury? Is it still bleeding?

A lovely young boy. No need to get a new home for him right away, he won’t start crowing for a while. Right now he’s a little sweetheart.
He’ll need some chick food and electrolytes. I would recommend keeping him inside for now.

That’s a cockerel! Great job on getting him! Do you have a picture of the injury? Is it still bleeding?
I’ll take a photo of it tmr and post it
It’s not bleeding it’s actually quite healed
Looks like he’s had it for around 2 weeks. Poor thing was super weak when I found him that injury took a lot from him it seemed.

A lovely young boy. No need to get a new home for him right away, he won’t start crowing for a while. Right now he’s a little sweetheart.
He’ll need some chick food and electrolytes. I would recommend keeping him inside for now.
Yep I found him today and my local feed store was closed so I fed him pigeon food from my pigeons until tmr when I get a good actual chicken food. How old do you think he is? At what age do they start crowning?

Yep I found him today and my local feed store was closed so I fed him pigeon food from my pigeons until tmr when I get a good actual chicken food. How old do you think he is? At what age do they start crowning?
He looks 6 ish weeks?
Crowing doesn’t usually start until around 10-15.

Back
Top Bottom