Found baby pigeon

Yooniebean

Chirping
Mar 17, 2020
So I found this baby pigeon outside my house and its really hot, it’s been a couple of hours since I first saw it and the mom(?), she’s is nowhere nearby so I brought it in. Any tips in what to do?? Should I give it plain water? Food?

Attachments

• 938C021A-DB92-4DDD-9BFA-264472438559.jpeg
    938C021A-DB92-4DDD-9BFA-264472438559.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 8
@backyard pigeons ?:)

First offer a container of water more than one inch deep. Dip his little beak in to show him the water. Then see if he drinks on his own. If not try to offer some water via syringe.

The quickest way to provide nutrition and hydration is to thaw about 30 frozen peas by soaking in hot water. Then when they are thawed and about room temp, open his beak and place one in the back of his mouth, close the beak and he will swallow. With practice you can even feed 2 or 3 at once.
I'm guessing about 30 peas should fill him up for now.
See if this works for you.

Why did you pick it up? Several hours are nothing and this isn’t a baby it’s a young juvenile. The mom would’ve returned but now it may die.
I agree the parents are likely to be still caring for this youngster. As you say its a juvenile not too far from weaning. Ideally if he could be placed safely near where found, the parents would still return. OTOH, I don't think he's likely to die as they are easy to hand feed at this age they no longer need crop milk. He should also be easy to reintegrate to the wild folk, I meant flock, he came from.

So I found this baby pigeon outside my house and its really hot, it’s been a couple of hours since I first saw it and the mom(?), she’s is nowhere nearby so I brought it in. Any tips in what to do?? Should I give it plain water? Food?
Actually, the very first thing you should do is examine his crop to see if he has been fed. At this age he is probably being fed only twice a day.

Why did you pick it up? Several hours are nothing and this isn’t a baby it’s a young juvenile. The mom would’ve returned but now it may die.
its about 90°f outside, and it was there since like 5 in the morning and I brought it in at 4pm. The tree in front of my house has no nest and the nearest is 4 houses down... I was just trying to help :/

1590618837274.png

The development stage that dove is in is what's known as a fledgling which is the stage where they learn to fly and forage. They don't just hop out of the nest one day ready to fly! ;)

If it sat there all day it was probably a safe spot. Doves are sneaky nest builders to the nest is probably a lot closer. I would try to return it before dark and see if the parents come to feed it which they probably will unless they are killed. If mom or dad doesn't come back you should consider either rearing it yourself which is difficult if you're not 100% committed or handing it over to a wildlife rehabber who will raise and release it.

View attachment 2163294
The development stage that dove is in is what's known as a fledgling which is the stage where they learn to fly and forage. They don't just hop out of the nest one day ready to fly! ;)

If it sat there all day it was probably a safe spot. Doves are sneaky nest builders to the nest is probably a lot closer. I would try to return it before dark and see if the parents come to feed it which they probably will unless they are killed. If mom or dad doesn't come back you should consider either rearing it yourself which is difficult if you're not 100% committed or handing it over to a wildlife rehabber who will raise and release it.

:goodpost: It's a dove isn't it? Thought he was an odd looking pigeon.:oops:
So don't be surprised if the thread is closed by admin due to
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/migratory-bird-treaty-act.1369913/

Great point! If you're in the US you want to be aware of that law. I always try to encourage people to hand over birds like that to a rehabber not only because its illegal but because it can be very difficult to care for baby birds- there's so many things to consider. If you're dead set on raising it yourself we can advise you as best we can but the thread is likely to get shut down and you're better off saving yourself the headache and handing it over to a rehabber. :)

Back
Top Bottom