Found bird in my chicken run. Is this a Homing Pigeon? Dove? Need advice.

ChickensRDinos

Songster
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
I found this bird trying to get into my chicken run. She/he was there this morning early and was still there when I got home from work and it is starting to get dark. It is very clearly tame and let me handle her easily -- has a band around her foot. I was hoping that she was just visiting and would fly home for the night but she just roosted on the run and stayed put so I have set up a dog crate for her for the night.

What is she? A homing pigeon? A dove of some sort? I have 20% protein chicken grow feed, poultry scratch and some whole red wheat berries, whole barley and BOSS on hand. Can she eat any of this? I also have standard kitchen vegetables and mealworms. I do not know anything about pigeons or doves. I have a hawk that recently got one of my birds who circles all the time now and I don't want her to get hurt.

I will post ads in the morning and try to find her owner. How far could she have gotten? Is it likely she would return home if I let her out? She does not look hurt to me but she did not appear to have moved all day. Her crop is empty and her tail feathers are a little frayed but she otherwise looks healthy and cared for.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you are in the Los Angeles area and are missing a bird or know someone who is please contact me. Describe her leg band to me and I'll get her home.

Thank you!!

Last edited:
The hawk will eat her so don't let her out! The band can be used to trace her owner...your local animal shelter might be able to help you out their or foys pigeon supplies (do a search on google should come up) Chicken feed would be OK but bird seed millet corn sunflower seed ect would be better. Homer or roller maybe but it is a pigeon. It could be from put of states...I've had birds show up from 5 states away that got lost. She's most likely lost I would try and track down the owners via band number (like I said animal shelter or foys)

Good Luck

Thank you. Her leg band, unfortunately, does not have a number. It is just a solid color metal thingie. I have posted on a local bird forum, all of my surrounding craigslists, and contacted an area pigeon club. Hopefully something turns up and she can go home.

im guessing its just a white homer, used for "white dove release", that many do for weddings, funerals ect.. to make a lot of money. definately not a normally kept cage type pet or magicians ringneck dove. well if it stays after letting it out after recovered after week, then put in, then after month, id say find it a friend. most who lose white doves just write them off as keep breeders locked up for this reason and that theyd return home if any good at homing. your doing a good thing trying to find the owner though, and a local white dove release place may take to try to train to home to their loft and care for with their birds if you dont want to keep it. my pigeons actually do better seeming on other bird feeds (wild bird seed, scratch, layer pellets, and budgie/ "parakeet" seed and/or pellets, all these except pellets providing cheap walmart caged bird grit n gravel), than just the pigeon pellet types i was able to get. good luck and have fun, theyre great pet birds, and in at least some ways even better than chicken keeping, especially if you live were cant have chickens or have reasons you couldnt let chickens out to watch "play".

I keep racing homers and this bird appears to be one, without a I.D. band it will be very hard to find the owner
Thank you for caring for it they are great birds,wish i had better info.for you.

Back
Top Bottom