Found Bloody Droppings

IloveTravis

Songster
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
I know people ask this a lot, but I'm asking anyway.
There was a crisis today, and the chickens we left out and about without any supervision.
I decided that that wasn't a good idea, so I shook a cup of food and got them all put away in the coop. That's when I found the blood- and there was a lot of it, right under a perch, and som scattered around the coop. At first I thought one was injured, but then I found a bloody stool on the porch.
Yesterday there was no blood. Now it's everywhere.
I'm wondering what this is. Is it contagious? What should I do to get rid of it?
I don't as of yet know which chicken this is coming from. Thier butts are all clean. I already tried separating them, half and half. But then I realized it's no use, they've been together for too long.
Help would be greatly appreciated
sad.png

Also, I'd like to say they have been well cared for. Their coop is clean, they have tons of room to free range. This doesn't seem like the kind of environment for breeding disease
sickbyc.gif

Do you have a vet in the area that will do a fecal float? Call around and see if there is someone that will let you bring in a sample. It sounds like it could be cocci.
Another thing, if you find a vet to do a float, see if they will give you meds without seeing the entire flock. Sometimes they will want to see one bird, but others will rip you off by saying they have to see EVERY bird.
Are any of your birds losing weight? Do you have a food scale or some other way to keep track of their weight? That is one of the first indications of a parasite, and I bet you have cocci or some other worm/parasite/etc on your hands. That, you can't help. Wild birds carry it and no matter how clean you coop is, they can still pick it up.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice
smile.png
None of the birds are visibly losing weight, but I'll try weighing them. I don't know if our local vet treats birds, either, but I'll contact him as soon as I can. I'm very worried about them.

Thanks, again, for the concern.

sometimes you don't have to take a hen into the vet..just a fresh fecal sample.

most any vet can do a fecal test for worms and cocci.

That's why I said to call around first. I've been told three different things from several vets: 1. Bring the whole flock in, 2. Bring the sickest bird in, and 3. Bring in a sample and I'll treat the entire flock without seeing anyone.
Obviously you'd want to try and avoid taking a bird in.

Back
Top Bottom