Found chickens eating a raw egg and shell. Should I be worried?

Feb 13, 2021
I found a broken egg in the coop no idea how long it had been there or why it was broken / out of the egg box but I came to find my chickens eating the shell and the yolk inside no one has gotten sick from my eggs but should I be worried / do anything?

I wouldn’t be worried about my chickens health. I would be worried about the chickens eating more eggs.
Start trying to collect them as soon as they are laid to try and stop them from eating more. Make sure they are getting a lot of protein to keep the egg shells strong. Some people say to give them a golf ball or a circle object.

This is all stuff I’ve read, I haven’t personally dealt with this but lots of people have. Hopefully it was a one time thing.

I wouldn’t be worried about my chickens health. I would be worried about the chickens eating more eggs.
Start trying to collect them as soon as they are laid to try and stop them from eating more. Make sure they are getting a lot of protein to keep the egg shells strong. Some people say to give them a golf ball or a circle object.

This is all stuff I’ve read, I haven’t personally dealt with this but lots of people have. Hopefully it was a one time thing.
They get extra protein on the side I think it was a case of monkey see monkey do I have school so I can’t be there since they lay in the middle of the day but yes I hope it was a one time thing they are still younger and mischievous as always not even a year yet

They certainly shouldn't get sick, but as @Chookchicken mentioned, watch out for that egg eating, you'll be pretty unhappy if they start to destroy your eggs on you. Are they on a layer pellet or have access to oyster shells for calcium? If there's no one able to collect eggs during the day, a few goofballs or ceramic eggs (most farm supply stores sell them, so does Amazon) in the nesting boxes might be enough of a deterrent, but egg eating can be a tough habit to break if it happens once too often. There are a few other tricks you can use before throwing in the towel though, so be sure to mention it if it starts to become a problem.

They certainly shouldn't get sick, but as @Chookchicken mentioned, watch out for that egg eating, you'll be pretty unhappy if they start to destroy your eggs on you. Are they on a layer pellet or have access to oyster shells for calcium? If there's no one able to collect eggs during the day, a few goofballs or ceramic eggs (most farm supply stores sell them, so does Amazon) in the nesting boxes might be enough of a deterrent, but egg eating can be a tough habit to break if it happens once too often. There are a few other tricks you can use before throwing in the towel though, so be sure to mention it if it starts to become a problem.
They have a layer feed pellets they eat that sun flower seeds cracked corn and a range of other things I’m hesitant to put egg shaped bal in there heavy or not because I had a hen who went broody for ping pong balls she would literally not get off I had to pull her out twice a day and feed her because she wouldn’t move

They have a layer feed pellets they eat that sun flower seeds cracked corn and a range of other things I’m hesitant to put egg shaped bal in there heavy or not because I had a hen who went broody for ping pong balls she would literally not get off I had to pull her out twice a day and feed her because she wouldn’t move
It’s all sounds good.....
But cracked corn shouldn’t be a daily thing it’s is at most a once a month snack. I don’t think it matters to much if your not in America but the corn America uses is really bad for chickens. But that’s a side issue and That thought I’d address. I don’t think it has anything to do with your chickens eating the eggs.

Try adding some oyster shells on the side for extra calcium. The stronger the egg shell the harder it is for them to eat. Broody hens are good at moderating them selfs. They do get up and eat A LOT when they are broody so there is no need to move them, unless you are trying to break broodyness in which there are different threads to do that. Hens also generally don’t have an object they like to get broody on more, it’s always wanting to have chicks. She was likely going to get broody anyways. I’d still try the golf balls and egg shaped objects. @LateBirdFarms had some very helpful places you can look for that stuff.

Sorry for it being this long :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom