Found cracked egg w/ embryo still developing...can it be saved???

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
A couple of my hens are broody and I've been candling the eggs (there are about 10 total eggs under both of them), and I noticed that one was cracked...And not just a small crack, either. The membrane in broken and I can see the embryo with its tiny beating heart inside, and it's really sad because I don't think I can save it.
hit.gif
But just in case, I'm posting here to see if anyone can think of a way to save it??? The crack is about the size of the tip of my pinky finger, and it's big enough that I can see a small part of the yolk/embryo with it's little heart beating away.
sad.png
Is there any way I could save it? I know there probably isn't, since the membrane is open and that means bacteria will get in if it hasn't already...if just the shell had cracked, I would've had a better chance of saving it, but the membrane is cracked too so I don't think it can be saved.
hmm.png
But if anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks!
frow.gif

(I'll also post some pictures in a little while...)

Quote:
Yeah I've heard of that too, but the problem is that I think it was only for cracked shells, not when the membrane is cracked too like in my situation.

Thanks!

Quote:
Thank you!
Unfortunately, the situations on these threads don't seem to be as bad as mine.
hmm.png
I would try candle wax, but the crack is just too big and the wax would just fall into the egg.
hu.gif

Also, I wanted to post pictures but my uploads is full because I'm suddenly no longer a GFM and it's going to take a while to (individually
barnie.gif
) delete each photo before I can upload any more...It would be A LOT easier if there was "delete multiple" though.
hmm.png

Anyways, if you have any other ideas please feel free to share!

sad.png
I honestly have no clue what to do...The membrane is drying out and the crack is just too big for candle wax, plus I don't currently have an incubator on hand...So I'm pretty sure there's no chance for this one.
hmm.png
But if anyone happens to have an idea, feel free to post.

Thanks!

Finally got the pictures to upload, although they're not very good.
hmm.png

tn

tn

Quote:
Do you mean a melted crayon? ...and I don't think duck tape would hold in enough moisture.
hmm.png
The membrane is already turning white so it's drying out already.
So I guess it's a goner.
sad.png
Poor little embryo.

you can put a piece of tape over the crack or liquid band aide. I had a cracked egg that hatched out fine.

Back
Top Bottom