Found duck eggs!!

mammaofmiracles

Chirping
May 22, 2017
IMG_2173.JPG
I found a dead duck that got hit by a car and she JUST laid the 6 eggs. I made a home made incubator and they have been in there for 6 days. Today is the 6th day. Humidity is 50-60 and temp has been highest 102 and lowest 97. I poked holes in the incubator.
I need help! I'm so confused!!!
I don't own ducks, never have. I have 10 kids and 2 dogs lol
I am lost!
Please help!!!

Are you turning the eggs daily? Several times a day?

at this point, I would candle the eggs. Take a bright flashlight, in a dark room, and hold the light to the fat end of the egg. Look for red blood vessels.

then we'll go from there...
I'm turning them 3 times a day at 8:30am like 3:30pm and again before bed at 10:30 or 11:00pm
I have 6 eggs, I will take a picture of each egg I candle and post them.
I made the incubator myself and I'm not home today so I'm scared that the temp will rise to 102 in there again for the 5 hours I'm gone

Ok, good. When you candle, pay attention to the air cell on the fat end. We need to figure out IF these eggs are growing, and how far along they are. The air cell grows a little each day, so the lines on this first picture are "normal" development.

The second pic is a chicken candling pic, but its basically what you will see inside the duck egg, depending on how far along they are. You don't necessarily have to get a picture of every egg, but try to do a mental comparison (or even jot down) about how they look, compared to the second pic here. You can also trace a pencil line around the air cell, if you want. Its not necessary, but can be helpful later on, and may help us figure out how to adjust your humidity, if needed.

If there is good development, then we'll be able to help you continue on!

Air-Sac-Development.jpg
candling development.jpg

Are you turning the eggs daily? Several times a day?

at this point, I would candle the eggs. Take a bright flashlight, in a dark room, and hold the light to the fat end of the egg. Look for red blood vessels.

then we'll go from there...
When you say flat and do you mean the end that isn't pointy

When you say flat and do you mean the end that isn't pointy

FAT, yes as in the non-pointy end. my ducks are so hard to tell sometimes. I have to shine in both ends to find it lol

View attachment 556541 I just got home and look at the temp!!! Are they dead now?? :hit The temp is 102 for the last like 4-5 hours

do you have a fan in there? They should be fine if it didn't get higher than that. 104+ is bad. 106 is almost always deadly if prolonged. But 102 is actually recommended for still air incubators (no fan).

pics look like good development for day 6 too!! :thumbsup

image.jpg
I just changed their position(the two I think are the only viable ones POSSIBLY) in my homemade incubator guys because I'm almost sure they have detached air sacs (is that term correct?)
So I'm sitting them vertically with cut toilet paper rolls lol
Not sure where they should be right now. I'm not even sure what I'm seeing when I candle. :fl:hit

Back
Top Bottom