found eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MissouriChick, Sep 25, 2009.

1. MissouriChick

MissouriChick Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Jefferson City, MO
    I just posted another question a few minutes ago. I've got a lot of questions....

So, my hens just started laying and I'm working on improving their nesting boxes so that they can have a cleaner and easier to access place to lay their eggs. Today, when snooping around my chicken area, I found a place where they like to hide and on the floor were 6 eggs! I think I checked there yesterday to make sure there weren't any eggs in that area but I'm not certain. So, I'm not sure how long they had been hanging out there. Can we still eat them? Couldn't they possibly be one hen's clutch? Probably not, though as they haven't been laying long enough, right?
    I cleaned them and put them in my frig anyway, but I wasn't sure about eating them.
    Help?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Eggs stay good for a long time. If in doubt, do the float test. Floating is bad.

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    They should be good to eat, do the float test. Or just crack them on at a time .... you'll see if they are not good....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by