Found Emu

I posted this before but an ostrich showed up on my uncle's farm. My uncle got a kick out of it and came to really like the friendly bird, after a couple days he thought he better try to find the owner. The owner came and shot the bird and killed it right there in his yard and said he was sick and tired of having the bird run off all the time. My uncle was heartbroken and said he wished he hadn't called at all. On the flip side my Peahen ran off to the neighbors one day and when they called it was a wonderful day! So I guess just keep both endings in mind. :)
Ok, I am all about killing a predator but in the case of the ostrich??? It didn't DO anything to anyone. That sucks.

This is super weird and random, but I follow a woman on Instagram who had an emu show up on her farm a couple of weeks ago and I’m fairly certain she also lives in Texas.. now I have to go look!

ETA - nope she lives in Virginia :lau but still, what a weird thing to happen to both of you!

My local feed store informed me that Emu's used to be a fad in these parts. Big business would pay $20,000 a peace to put on their property. They were so popular that Emu hatcheries sprang up, which reduced the price, somewhat. Then the fad went away, the hatcheries could no longer make money, and many of them were released into the wild of Texas. Now they are not worth much money at all, and apparently roam wild. But this one is very friendly, and was obviously fed by humans before.

Do they bond with poultry?

I wouldn't say bond as in become friends with them, but if raised with them they will tolerate poultry and not chase them, etc.

..... what’s the livestock guardian portion of emus? I’m super curious. I’ve always wanted one... you mean there could be a purpose?!

They kick and stomp things that they don't like - so small predators like foxes, raccoons, etc, are asking for death if they wander into an emu pen. They probably won't be able to protect from any large predators, like a pack of coyotes. But for small stuff they're a pretty good deterrent. Since I've got them the only birds I've lost to predators have been kept in a separate pen from the emus.

I posted this before but an ostrich showed up on my uncle's farm. My uncle got a kick out of it and came to really like the friendly bird, after a couple days he thought he better try to find the owner. The owner came and shot the bird and killed it right there in his yard and said he was sick and tired of having the bird run off all the time. My uncle was heartbroken and said he wished he hadn't called at all. On the flip side my Peahen ran off to the neighbors one day and when they called it was a wonderful day! So I guess just keep both endings in mind. :)
:th

Back
Top Bottom