Found Emu

OH yeah, even though I have two refuges that will take him, neither of them will capture and transport him... that is up to me. If I can get him there they will take him. I need an enclosed trailer. Then I can gradually move his feeding spot closer and closer to the trailer, and then finally inside the trailer, and then close the door on him once he is in the trailer. If I can get that far, the rest is easy.

My local feed store informed me that Emu's used to be a fad in these parts. Big business would pay $20,000 a peace to put on their property. They were so popular that Emu hatcheries sprang up, which reduced the price, somewhat. Then the fad went away, the hatcheries could no longer make money, and many of them were released into the wild of Texas. Now they are not worth much money at all, and apparently roam wild. But this one is very friendly, and was obviously fed by humans before.
Yep, back in the early 80's the fad took off. I bought a trio for $250, 2 years later was selling them for mega bucks. Just a few years later and the fad ended, I sold my out before the fad ended.

It should really be fed a quality ratite ration. Treats are ok but in small quantities.

Are emus good to eat? Just curious as to why people raise them...

People do eat them, yes. For the most part, they are raised for their oil and meat. Mine though are pets and livestock guardians. They also now come in a couple different color morphs, which people keep to breed and sell. I myself have two blondes for this purpose.

People do eat them, yes. For the most part, they are raised for their oil and meat. Mine though are pets and livestock guardians. They also now come in a couple different color morphs, which people keep to breed and sell. I myself have two blondes for this purpose.
..... what’s the livestock guardian portion of emus? I’m super curious. I’ve always wanted one... you mean there could be a purpose?!

'one post mentioned grapes and boy did he love those '

They are great foragers, and will push their way into thick bushes, etc. to score Yummies. There's a feral grape vine here. It grows through a thicket of other stuff. And they'll drive so far into it that all you can see is their toosh feathers sticking out.

SE

Back
Top Bottom