Found green poop in the coop

Medicated chick starter is a feed that simply contains a very weak amount of amprolium in the feed to help build resistance to cocci protozoa gradually over time. I can assure you that the medicated chick starter had no effect on whatever you were dealing with.

Medicated chick starter is a feed that simply contains a very weak amount of amprolium in the feed to help build resistance to cocci protozoa gradually over time. I can assure you that the medicated chick starter had no effect on whatever you were dealing with.
X2.

-Kathy

Any feed company that expects me to believe chicks build immunity to Coccidiosis in 8 weeks can find another buyer. With the first two ingredient listings of "grain products" and "processed grain products", I'd rather spend money on this:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein, not less than..........…………………………...................22.0%
Lysine, not more than…………………………………………………..……1.0%
Methionine, not less than……………………………………………………0.4%
Crude Fat, not less than................................…………………………......2.5%
Crude Fiber, not more than......................……………………………........5.0%
Ash, not more than………………………………..……………………..……8.0%
Calcium, not less than..............................……………………………........0.8%
Calcium, not more than.............................…………………………….......1.2%
Phosphorus, not less than...........................……………………………....0.6%
Sodium, not more than..............................……………………………......0.3%
_________________________________________________________________________________
INGREDIENTS
Organic Soybean Meal, Organic Wheat, Organic Corn, Ground Limestone, Organic Flaxseed, Monocalcium & Dicalcium Phosphate, Diatomaceous Earth, Mineral Sea Salt (Redmond), DL Methionine, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Brewers Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Organic Garlic Granules, Organic Horseradish Powder, Organic Star Anise Oil, Organic Juniper Berry Oil, Reed Sedge Peat, Calcium Bentonite, Choline Chloride, Manganese Oxide, Niacin Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, Tribasic Copper Chloride, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Dimethyl Pyrimidinol Bisulfate (Source of Vitamin K activity), Ethylene Diamine Dihydroiodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

I'll control the amount of Amprolium needed for immunity by using Corid in drinkers.

Good point we worm everything else regularly.

Define regularly please .... and do you use Safeguard? If so, how much of it per grown bird? At what age do you start worming? Do you use the same type of wormer each time?

Quote:

Does this feed have a name and where is it available and at what expense?

I was at our local feed store yesterday and the standard feed, with all the ingredients you cannot pronounce, is $17 for 50#.
The organic feed was $27 for 40#, however it did not come close to having the ingredient list of what you wrote above. I do believe it had all of 4, maybe 5, and I underlined in your post those I remember.

For worming I use Safeguard liquid and I worm by weight at 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds). An average sized Rhode Island Red hen weighs about 3kg, so I would give her 1.5ml and my Bantams weigh 500 grams, so they get .25ml. If I suspect capillary or gapeworms, I worm 3-5 days in a row.

-Kathy

Does this feed have a name and where is it available and at what expense?

I was at our local feed store yesterday and the standard feed, with all the ingredients you cannot pronounce, is $17 for 50#.
The organic feed was $27 for 40#, however it did not come close to having the ingredient list of what you wrote above. I do believe it had all of 4, maybe 5, and I underlined in your post those I remember.
The ingredient list I posted is from King Feed's Organic Chick Start & Grow formula. They are a California based mill. I pay $34 for 50 lbs.
http://king-brand.com/new/

Modesto Milling also produces good quality rations: http://www.modestomilling.com/

A $10 difference between Organic & non-organic is your choice. I prefer organic ingredients, and the cost of a healthy diet outweighs the cost of treating disease or ill health. I'm sure you can find something of comparable quality in your area.

I had my vet do a fecal test. He found a worm that lives in their crops, so we squirted the medication into each beak. I did lose a few chickens shortly after, which might have been a coincidence.

I had my vet do a fecal test. He found a worm that lives in their crops, so we squirted the medication into each beak. I did lose a few chickens shortly after, which might have been a coincidence.
Sounds like capillary worms.
Scroll down to Capillary worms and read about the two types that infect the crop/esophagus: Dose with safeguard liquid goat wormer orally undiluted, 1/2cc once a day for 5 days straight. I recommend that you dose all your birds.
http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm

Last edited:
Wow, I think I'm gonna start worming 5 days in a row all the time! Thanks for sharing your fecal float results!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom