Found hurt peasant what to do?

Camry08

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
I found a male ring neck peasant at the end of my road with his tail and the feathers up his back all ripped out. I caught him and brought him home. Now he’s alseep in a blanket but he’s very weak and tired and not interested in food or water. Anything I can do to help him more?

He also has something in the corner of his mouth and I can’t tell if it’s making him uncomfortable or not? Or if it’s a mouth flap???

Attachments

• 162D2B1A-7679-4552-A0D0-F185ACD8F090.jpeg
    162D2B1A-7679-4552-A0D0-F185ACD8F090.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 19
  • A389555F-654B-4533-80BA-C4E3EC471332.jpeg
    A389555F-654B-4533-80BA-C4E3EC471332.jpeg
    407.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 795DC05D-61AB-4F24-A8A7-E8674DAA6A14.jpeg
    795DC05D-61AB-4F24-A8A7-E8674DAA6A14.jpeg
    430.3 KB · Views: 2
I found a male ring neck peasant at the end of my road with his tail and the feathers up his back all ripped out. I caught him and brought him home. Now he’s alseep in a blanket but he’s very weak and tired and not interested in food or water. Anything I can do to help him more?

He also has something in the corner of his mouth and I can’t tell if it’s making him uncomfortable or not? Or if it’s a mouth flap???
Where are you located in the world?

Can you call a wildlife rehab or your state wildlife resource commission to see if they can help you?

Anyone you know raise Pheasants nearby?
The damage to the back looks like feather picking more than injury.

Not sure what you mean about the corner of his beak, can you get a better photo?

In the meantime, keep him in a quiet area with room to move about. Offer water and little feed. If you have chick starter or game bird feed that would be good. Soft cooked egg is fine to offer as well.

Hopefully those that raise or that are more familiar with Pheasants can chime in.

@muddy75 @007Sean

Well, I don’t know anything about pheasants, but I do know keeping him warm is important. Is he mobile enough to move away from a heat source if he wants to? After heat, the most important thing is hydration. Will he drink? Then maybe he might eat a mash made with starter/grower or even egg as suggested by Wyorp Rock? I agree he looks more feather pecked than injured, as well.

Where are you located in the world?

Can you call a wildlife rehab or your state wildlife resource commission to see if they can help you?

Anyone you know raise Pheasants nearby?
The damage to the back looks like feather picking more than injury.

Not sure what you mean about the corner of his beak, can you get a better photo?

In the meantime, keep him in a quiet area with room to move about. Offer water and little feed. If you have chick starter or game bird feed that would be good. Soft cooked egg is fine to offer as well.

Hopefully those that raise or that are more familiar with Pheasants can chime in.

@muddy75 @007Sean

I live in Maine where these guys are not native this is a very exotic pet for the area I live.

I live in a very very small town where at most people keep chickens (me included) I’ve been asking around town but no one has stepped up yet.

He still hasn’t shown interest in food or water poor fella just wants more sleep

I live in Maine where these guys are not native this is a very exotic pet for the area I live.

I live in a very very small town where at most people keep chickens (me included) I’ve been asking around town but no one has stepped up yet.

He still hasn’t shown interest in food or water poor fella just wants more sleep
I wouldn't have thought he'd be wild anyway. I know we have pheasants over here in the UK, but even here they're technically not wild, they're bred and set free-- purely for shooting/sport. Its sad. I sure love these beautiful birds.

Keep the room dim, keep him warm. Since it's been a while, you could offer water (with a little sugar in), by dipping the tip of his beak into it, he may take a sip.
You could try offering some scrambled eggs for now.

He could have an injury to his head, perhaps a concussion, as well as being in shock. Give him time and he may perk up after some rest.

I wouldn't have thought he'd be wild anyway. I know we have pheasants over here in the UK, but even here they're technically not wild, they're bred and set free-- purely for shooting/sport. Its sad. I sure love these beautiful birds.

Keep the room dim, keep him warm. Since it's been a while, you could offer water (with a little sugar in), by dipping the tip of his beak into it, he may take a sip.
You could try offering some scrambled eggs for now.

He could have an injury to his head, perhaps a concussion, as well as being in shock. Give him time and he may perk up after some rest.

I think he does have a head injury he has very poor balance and his head shakes when he tries to stand tall. Feeding him has been tricky as he stuffs himself and cokes I’ve never seen such a messy eater before (and I have chickens!) his face just gets COATED in the feed. I’ve been giving him scrambled eggs and game bird starter but he can barely handle it it seems

They can get injured by predators when they are released, so he could have been hurt by a hawk or other predator. Try putting some water into some chicken feed or gamebird feed to slow down eating and get more fluid into him. Or just put a few pieces out at a time. Keep it quiet and away from noise and activity. I hope that you can help him, but Wyorp is right about trying a wildlife pro or the DNR about helping him.

Back
Top Bottom