Found missing hen + 13 new chicks

fowlafoot

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Midwest
Every spring my free range game hens go broody and disappear and there are always a few who don't ever come home but this one was lucky... I almost stepped on them before the hen attacked me
lol.png

ChicksinCloverBanner.jpg

I also had peeping in one of the pens although it was hard to get a good pic with both Mom & Dad on guard duty

Hectorbabies.jpg

Last edited:
What a wonderful surprise! Those little ones look so cute in that green grass with nothing but their little heads showing. Congrats! I'm glad momma and her peeps made it home safe.

so, so, so cute!

What amazes me is that chicks are so hardy when they're with momma hen. This morning mine were out in 65 F temps and were fine cuz they could hide under momma whenever they got cold.

Well something, probably a young coyote, came in the yard and killed the mother and 3 chicks. Since it was after sunrise I'm assuming it got the chicks first and the mother rushed to their defence. It gave the Catahoula time to get over there and chase the predator off... the 9 remaining chicks were running around the yard like crazy going to any clucking hen (and we have a lot right now). Finally got them caught up and under a heat lamp but they are just huddling together... poor little orphans
hit.gif

I was just going to post how cute that pic was and then saw the update. So sorry........
hit.gif
:aww

Back
Top Bottom