Found my first chicken. What is he?

Looks like a girl to me!

She doesn't want to sleep in a bucket, she wants to sleep in a tree! Make her a roost and she'll be happier and feel safer sleeping at night.
smile.png

It might be nice to see if you can find the actual owner before buying a coop and all. Probably didn't come from very far away.

It is a Pullet and appears to be around 6 weeks old
wink.png
prob. a JG
put you cannot keep her cooped up inside all day, they are made to be outside free ranging, and you will have to get her a friend.
I would see if you can find the owner first, I know if it was me that lost her, I would be really upset
sad.png

GL and have a good one

First i was inclined to say it looks a bit like a jersey giant but the eye colour is not right, maybe a maran due to eye colour, feet colour would help. I would def recommend getting a few more!! they are very social and can get lonely.
smile.png

Quote:
I would never free range my chickens. It's much safer having them cooped up in a run/coop/house Also, there are several people who have house chickens. My 12 week olds are really good inside the house and never leave the kitchen when they come in. Plus, they are super happy inside. :p There are also people who use chicken diapers for their house chickens. It's illegal in our county to free range. They must be cooped up by law.

Last edited:
$80 later the vet tells me she's skinny and hurt her toe somehow and has an infection. I have to give her antibiotic twice a day. If the people who lost her want her back, they can have her for $80. I have to tell you though, whoever had her, their intentions weren't "honorable". Just got 2 books, Chickens in your Backyard, and Raising Chickens for Dummies and the first thing I read while browsing was not to name a chicken you're planning on eating. Well, her name is Nellie Chickenella.
smile.png
I can't give her to someone who looks at her and sees dinner. Sorry, just can't do it.

This is the city, we can't let chickens roam free. Aside from ordinances, there are cats, and yard dogs to deal with. It's not safe for her. If keeping her cooped is cruel, I'll have to rehome her to someone who can care for her properly. If I rehome her, is there anyone here who could take her?

So I was kind of excited reading about Australorps and got to like the idea that she was one. Not knowing anything about chickens, how does the JG stack up? Should I be a little disappointed? Assuming that I keep her, where can I get another of the same age for her to grow up with? Should it be another JG? I went to the poultry shop to try and find feed, and there was a variety of chickens there. Should I save one of them? Would I have to get a little one? Also, I found a bag of Mana Pro medicated chick starter. She now has a steady supply of that, along with a bowl of mixed veggies in the morning, and an occasional treat of wax worms or crickets. I'll remove her oyster shell, but does she still need grit?

Oh so many questions. Time to hit the books,

Thank you all so much for all of your help!

Kathy & Nellie

Glad to see that she has seen the vet & you seem to be doing everything in your power to make her very happy. Which city are you in ?
She is definitely beautiful & deserves the best care. Lots of luck & hope to see updates on you & your girl.

Back
Top Bottom