Found my goose dead in a pool, looking like this... (graphic pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BellLisamo, Jan 25, 2010.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    SO this morning when i was making my rounds, i found my poor dead goose in the pool, with its back like this.
    These geese grew up together, they have always been together. What would have done this? Did the geese turn on this one?

[​IMG]

i cant imagine some other creature doing this?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. untamed_spirit

untamed_spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    We saw the body of a swan down by the loch that looked very similar to this. My thought would be foxes, and the reason it is only plucked is because maybe the other geese disturbed it or chased it off before it had a chance to finish the job.

I am sorry about your poor goose [​IMG]

3. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    So sorry for your loss.
    I had a raccoon tear the back off one of my hens and it looked like that.

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    omg! really?!?! EKKKKKKK. Ok silly question time... are there foxes in arizona? (I live right near a wash... never seen a coon, but im sure they are around)

Would a skunk do that??
    I've never seen a coon or foxes around here. Seen skunks though... I never thought they would pick on something 10x their size...

Any other ideas? I need to buy a trail cam... I just know it. Then I would know what happens...

5. untamed_spirit

untamed_spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    Good point, I have no idea if there are foxes in Arizona lol. Do you get coyotes? I would imagine a hungry one would take on a goose!

6. Turner

Turner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    There are Coons in AZ. what about Coyotes??

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

My geese are fighting at this time of year. They pull a lot of feathers, but have never killed one another. Guess I`m just lucky as the top aggressor is sometimes on top of the loser in the water. If I had to guess, I`d say your bird drowned in an argument over the ladies........Pop

8. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I can't imagine that there aren't coyotes in AZ - the stupid things are everywhere, and they would go after a goose no problem! A fox would also try to take on a goose. When we had a bunch of ducks and geese, they were outside - free range - 24/7. We lived in the woods at this time, so lots of different critters, fox, coyotes, coons, mink... The ducks and geese would gang up on the minks and chase them away, but when the fox would come around, they would go into deep water & create such a commotion the thing usually just left and didn't bother. I never lost a duck or goose to a fox, or anything else for that matter - we were EXTREMELY lucky. So Sorry about your goose... I loved mine, they were some of the best birds ever!

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Was this a male or a female? What about the other goose?

I can think of a couple of scenarios.

1. Both were male geese and they were fighting and this one lost. [​IMG]

2. They were a pair and the male got a little fricky with the female and pulled her feathers out trying to mate.

#2 may be the likely scenario if they were a pair since you found this one in the pool.

10. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I'm sorry for your loss...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by