Found my hen with a black toe.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buddy18, Jul 13, 2016.

1. buddy18

buddy18 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2016
    Went into the barn to check on my girls and saw my leghorn with a little blood on her chest. She actually let me pick her up and on one toe it looked like maybe she caught her toe. It was slightly swollen and dark and the nail looked damaged. She's walking on it but very slowly. She's eating and doesn't seem in pain. Cleaned it, sprayed vetericyn and covered it with equaide. Cleaned it again today and it's still dark about a inch above the nail and the nail is dark. Doesn't look infected. Will she loose the nail and do I need to do anything more than keep it cleaned and keep spraying it with Vetericyn? I don't know much about chickens, this flock made our barn their home.

2. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Two of mine have completely lost a toenail each at different times (complete toenail). Lots of blood both times, but got it stopped with styptic powder. Blukote then neosporin, then wrapped (wrapping didn't last long). It took about 6 months for the nails to grow back.

Not sure on the "black" part of your description...dried blood, dirt, ? Pics might help others diagnose...

3. buddy18

Mar 18, 2016
    Not sure why its black, cleaned it so it isn't dirt or blood. Was hoping it was the dried equaide, it's black but if it was it should have wiped off but then a chickens foot is a lot different then my dogs or horses. Have to catch her again which she now knows my moves :) Will take a picture when I catch her again. How long did it take for the nail to come off or did they get ripped out?

4. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Both of mine had them ripped off on a wire table they like to jump up on. Have it fixed now but it happened in the blink of an eye.

5. buddy18

Mar 18, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This is what it looks like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by