Found Orphaned Ducklings. Please Help.

ChipandSalsa

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Found two orphaned ducklings. Have been caring for them for two weeks now. Both were doing fine but for the last few days one has matted wet fur on top of his head and one of his eyes gets swollen. Think it might be a sinus infection from what I 've read and I've been cleaning the eye with saline which seems to help. but haven't seen anything about the hair loss/ constant wetness on top of the head. Even when i gently dry the top of his head after bathing or cleaning the eye, the top of his head still looks wet and matted. Very concerned, Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

They need to be able to wash their entire heads numerous times a day. Just part of being a duck.

At this point, if there is an infection, you may really need to get some sort of antibiotic, or at least begin with something like Veterycin (sp?),

Do you have a vet who could help you?

Could you describe your setup in more detail?

Ducklings need to be bathing/swimming daily in a lukewarm bath, with close supervision. Have you been able to do that? If not, I would start right away. It's fun, too! And very much better for their health.

Back
Top Bottom