Found Snake....Help can't identify.

I would vote for juvenile copperhead, the pattern is very close.

And either way, I would have killed it even if it was just a rat snake. I have a toddler and there is no such thing as a good snake around here.

Rat snake - had one just like it in my driveway last week. In the OP's photo the snake appears too long and thin to be a copperhead, in my opinion.

I'm not an expert, but the pattern of the posted pic of the Copperhead looks VERY different to me - so I'd go with the more popular vote of Rat Snake.

thank you all very much for your help, i have 3 little boys in my house and this just happened to be in my living room, which was my reason for killing it. i live in oklahoma by a lake, i didn't want to take too many chances and i couldnt seem to find out what it was on my own. again thank you everyone.

Because of my children and animals, I'd have killed and asked questions after too. To me, it looks like what I am finding via google for rat snake. They are pretty harmelss, but it appears they will steal eggs. And panic the hens. But over all harmless. My first thought though would have been a copperhead.

Holy cow!! in your living room!!!! Ack, yeah, it woulda been dead quick here too.

Last edited:
Yeep! As much as I like snakes, I don't want one to surprise me in my living room...they're much better when you see them outside from a relative distance.

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif
from Tulsa! There is quite a very chatty group of BYC Okies - come over and say hi if you'd like - here's a link to the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2845590#p2845590

I agree with you that if it's in the house it's dead. About 3 years ago we had a 3 foot rat snake in our bedroom. It was crawling along the chair rail next to our bed. Needless to say that one is no longer living. Never found how it got in, but I didn't sleep very good for a few nights.

Back
Top Bottom