Found this growth- what is it?

Bumblefoot is fairly common, and pretty easy to treat. I usually don’t do too much unless it is very red and swollen or the chicken is limping. Right now I would be more concerned with the mass. But here are some links to read about bumblefoot:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment-html/
Thank you for the link! Right now she is walking fine and doesn’t seem to be in any pain. I only noticed the bumblefoot since I was doing the inspection on the mass. I appreciate your help!

It's not easy to judge a two dimensional photo, but it appears likely to me to be a giant feather cyst. It looks like it's just under the top layer of tissue. Does it appear translucent around the base to you?

Try moving the mass. Does it seem to "float" at the base? Or is it firmly anchored, resisting moving it? If it seems to be floating rather than being anchored firmly, (which would point to a tumor) it's a cyst and cysts are easy to pop out by making a small incision at the very top. But I would try dislodging the horn first.

To make it easy, take a small rag rung out in hot water, put a squirt of dish detergent on it, and then hold it against the horn for about five minutes. This should dissolve the horn into a jelly that should then lift off.

Wipe the bump well with alcohol and make your incision at the top, about a quarter inch is all you need. Then place two fingers at the base and slowly exert upward pressure. Yellow waxy pus should begin to extrude. Keep pushing upward until it all extrudes. There may be a pin feather in there that has looped itself back toward the base. If you see that, free it up so it springs upward. Use a toothpick. That would be what caused this monstrosity. Wash well with soap and water, and put a wound ointment such as Neosporin on it until the incision heals.

You can tell it's filled with fluid?
I wonder if it's a feather cyst, but can't be sure very well could be cancer or keratin growth as suggested.

I'd like to see what @azygous and @coach723 thoughts are as well.

To me, the bumblefoot looks fairly minor and I agree with @Eggcessive , if her feet are not bothering her, I'd just monitor the feet while you concentrate on the growth for now.
Yes it is filled with fluid and I think you may be right, it could very well be a feather cyst. It didn’t seem to be attached to her like a tumor would be. I’m going to attempt to remove it tomorrow.

It's not easy to judge a two dimensional photo, but it appears likely to me to be a giant feather cyst. It looks like it's just under the top layer of tissue. Does it appear translucent around the base to you?

Try moving the mass. Does it seem to "float" at the base? Or is it firmly anchored, resisting moving it? If it seems to be floating rather than being anchored firmly, (which would point to a tumor) it's a cyst and cysts are easy to pop out by making a small incision at the very top. But I would try dislodging the horn first.

To make it easy, take a small rag rung out in hot water, put a squirt of dish detergent on it, and then hold it against the horn for about five minutes. This should dissolve the horn into a jelly that should then lift off.

Wipe the bump well with alcohol and make your incision at the top, about a quarter inch is all you need. Then place two fingers at the base and slowly exert upward pressure. Yellow waxy pus should begin to extrude. Keep pushing upward until it all extrudes. There may be a pin feather in there that has looped itself back toward the base. If you see that, free it up so it springs upward. Use a toothpick. That would be what caused this monstrosity. Wash well with soap and water, and put a wound ointment such as Neosporin on it until the incision heals.
Wow thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response. I think you are right and it does seem to be a feather cyst. It did not seem to be attached when I handled it earlier, which leads me to believe it’s not likely a tumor. And yes, it did appear to be translucent around the base. I will follow these instructions tomorrow and hope for the best. Thank you again for your response, I really appreciate it!

Wow thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response. I think you are right and it does seem to be a feather cyst. It did not seem to be attached when I handled it earlier, which leads me to believe it’s not likely a tumor. And yes, it did appear to be translucent around the base. I will follow these instructions tomorrow and hope for the best. Thank you again for your response, I really appreciate it!
If possible, take photos?
I think it will be interesting to see what may come out of the growth.

If possible, take photos?
I think it will be interesting to see what may come out of the growth.
1697889548209.png

Back
Top Bottom