Found this this mornin

Where are you located ? These birds are normally only native in the U.S. to the western states. Probably be best to seperate him from your ducks if possible. Chickens and ducks can transfer fatal diseases to game birds.

Where are you located ? These birds are normally only native in the U.S. to the western states. Probably be best to seperate him from your ducks if possible. Chickens and ducks can transfer fatal diseases to game birds.

I'm in the panhandle of Texas. Oh ok i will try to catch him and seperate him (all mine have been tested free of diseases)

There are escaped Chukar all over the US. Most are released at hunting reserves, the lucky ones stay feral for a few years. They will show often on wild bird counts (check out eBird and enter Chukar) even though they are not in their "normal" habitat. In the years since I started gbwf, I've had e-mails from folks with Chukars wondering their backyards, outside office buildings, and I've even seen a few in Missouri. Very doubtful that the populations away from the introduced habitat are breeding or sustaining themselves without escapes or releases.

Dan

That's really cool! Could you imagine? I'm just dying to know where he came from! Maybe he was an egg that rolled to your coop, and you didn't notice, then your ducks sat on it and he hatched, but snuck out when you came to the coop and you never noticed him until today!!!

I'm just kidding. But seriously, It's killing me! I wanna know the little guy's adventourous tale! What if he flew here?!?! Just kidding on that too. What if he could talk? What would his little voice sound like?!?

There are escaped Chukar all over the US.  Most are released at hunting reserves, the lucky ones stay feral for a few years.  They will show often on wild bird counts (check out eBird and enter Chukar) even though they are not in their "normal" habitat.  In the years since I started gbwf, I've had e-mails from folks with Chukars wondering their backyards, outside office buildings, and I've even seen a few in Missouri.  Very doubtful that the populations away from the introduced habitat are breeding or sustaining themselves without escapes or releases.

Dan

Wow that's interesting

That's really cool! Could you imagine? I'm just dying to know where he came from! Maybe he was an egg that rolled to your coop, and you didn't notice, then your ducks sat on it and he hatched, but snuck out when you came to the coop and you never noticed him until today!!!
I'm just kidding. But seriously, It's killing me! I wanna know the little guy's adventourous tale! What if he flew here?!?! Just kidding on that too. What if he could talk? What would his little voice sound like?!?

I am very interested in where he came from too!!! That would be awesome if they could talk haha:))

Wow that's interesting

I checked the species reports on eBird. Outside of their introduced natural habitat, Chukar were counted near Chicago, Florida, New York, Vermont, eastern South Dakota, & even the Bahamas. It also noted that eBird sometimes will not accept nor will many birders report the Chukar outside of the west. Also, not every birder uses the eBird site, so I'm sure there are many more seen. Somewhere on either the new gbwf forum or old one, I posted several pics of the Chukars people e-mailed to ID from different locations.

Also to add to the feral/escaped species list I've been e-mailed from folks around the US, the expected: Golden Pheasant, Amherst Pheasant, Silver Pheasant, Reeves' Pheasant; the surprising: Blue Eared-Pheasant, Impeyan, Swinhoe: countless waterfowl species (which are included in most field guides, but accepted by ABA unless it is within normal vagrant range, i.e. Barnacle Goose, Tufted Duck - I post the daily ABA rarity list on gbwf to show what's being seen out there).

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

Dan

I checked the species reports on eBird.  Outside of their introduced natural habitat, Chukar were counted near Chicago, Florida, New York, Vermont, eastern South Dakota, & even the Bahamas.  It also noted that eBird sometimes will not accept nor will many birders report the Chukar outside of the west.  Also, not every birder uses the eBird site, so I'm sure there are many more seen.  Somewhere on either the new gbwf forum or old one, I posted several pics of the Chukars people e-mailed to ID from different locations. 

Also to add to the feral/escaped species list I've been e-mailed from folks around the US, the expected: Golden Pheasant, Amherst Pheasant, Silver Pheasant, Reeves' Pheasant; the surprising: Blue Eared-Pheasant, Impeyan, Swinhoe: countless waterfowl species (which are included in most field guides, but accepted by ABA unless it is within normal vagrant range, i.e. Barnacle Goose, Tufted Duck - I post the daily ABA rarity list on gbwf to show what's being seen out there).

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

Dan

Oh wow that's cool I never knew

Now there is 2:)
88C83E94-8F22-474D-8B41-062A9FF0E144-416-000000DE434C8817_zps6c1ecc92.jpg

BA085F43-E892-46C9-8ADB-1E4BEEFCD401-416-000000DE1A3358E1_zps00346fc4.jpg

C0861BAF-D04A-4BBE-B6DD-632E3F145567-416-000000DDF73E92E1_zps23501707.jpg

Back
Top Bottom