Found this tiny egg on the ground of my coop????

silkymom1986

The Silkie Villa
8 Years
Sep 28, 2011
Byhalia, MS
I found this tiny egg on the ground of my chicken coop, not in the nest where the others always are. I have silkies but this is even alot smaller then there eggs. You can see in the pic when I opened it there if barely any yolk. Any ideas on where this came from?!?! Do chickens do this sometimes before they start laying??
idunno.gif
None of mine before have but I do have some youngsters in there.
hu.gif
Any help to answering this mystery is appreciated!!
thumbsup.gif

107896_2011-12-07_183255.jpg

107896_2011-12-07_185508.jpg

107896_2011-12-07_185636.jpg

This is a really good sign! Yes, it means someone new in your coop has started laying. The first egg can sometime be small like this. I always grab it, run into the house, and loudly announce that someone else has begun laying eggs. Congrats!

Oh YAY!!!
celebrate.gif
I was hoping it was a good thing, I had just never seen one like that from my others so I didn't know what to think,
lau.gif
Thanks for the help!!!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

It doesn't nessesarily mean a new bird is laying, but that would be one of the more likely things. Sometimes eggs like that just happen for no reason

Quote:
Do they just pop out on the ground? That confused me because it wasn't in a nest, it was on the ground not even under the nests.

I got one like this a couple of days ago. I was hoping it was my youngest pullet, a RIR, that had started to lay. All my other girls are laying but she is younger and at the bottom of the pecking order. She had not begun to lay. Now I think all mine are
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Do they just pop out on the ground? That confused me because it wasn't in a nest, it was on the ground not even under the nests.

First of all, I'm pretty sure that Silkies only lay light colered eggs, but I could be wrong. As for not being in the nest box, welcome to the world of chicken raising
lol.png
Most of mine lay in the nest box, but I've found them in the middle of the run, the middle of the yard and even on the poop board
sickbyc.gif
Not sure why some hens lay their eggs where they do, but it keeps things interesting.

Back
Top Bottom