Four Weeks and What?

DaveMorehouse

Songster
7 Years
Nov 28, 2016
Lake Superior in upper Michigan
Hi.

This is my first go-round with Coturnix. (Or any quail) They were four weeks old yesterday. I have seven that survived and they are looking healthy. At what point do I need to sex them and separate them? When should I move them out of the (12 square foot) brooder and into pens?

I hope to raise them to egg laying age and then hatch out more chicks in the incubator.

As always, thanks - in advance, for your expertise.
Dave

Hi.

This is my first go-round with Coturnix. (Or any quail) They were four weeks old yesterday. I have seven that survived and they are looking healthy. At what point do I need to sex them and separate them? When should I move them out of the (12 square foot) brooder and into pens?

I hope to raise them to egg laying age and then hatch out more chicks in the incubator.

Dave
They are super fast hatching and growing aren't they? I have had them for quite a while and we used eggs and meat. (wrapped in bacon and smoked, OMG). I got Bob Whites as I always loved to hear them many years ago. So, I am into them big time, Hatched out (luck) a huge batch, 60 of 74 hatched. Gave 2 groups of 16 away to guys with land and needed cover and food the restart them, I kept the rest for the new quail run. They are slower by far to mature, but very hearty and a joy to have. I will let the coturnix live out their life and not replace them, I have lost so much of the use in my hands, dressing them or my rabbits has become a challenge. I'm afraid even the rabbits will need to go. They are working animals, not pets to me. I hate this arthritis, and it is worsening quickly. I guess it's time to start sitting back and enjoying what has taken years to achieve. My own paradise. They love a sand/ dirt box and will lay most eggs in it, be sure to offer oyster shell, I buy a flaked shell on line, much better than the stuff at stores, sift it for the quail, feed larger parts to chickens, and it is easily broke down in a ninja blender/chopper if you want. Good luck, and have fun.

Hi.

Dave

You should be able to sex them now and they can be moved out side now that it is summer. Turn the heat lamp off and let them adjust to room temp for a few days them move them out side. in the winter depending on temps you can move them outside at 6 to 8 weeks. If you can post some pics of them we can help you sex them. They should start laying for you in about 4 or 5 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom