Four year old son wants to enter his chicken in a chicken show.

here where i live 5-19 can be in 4h but 5-8 are in clover buds and cant show animals or do the regular projects im not sure about regular fairs cause the ones close to use dont do chickens we have to go to state fair for chickens other than 4 h check with your offices to find out
smile.png
smile.png

Are you in Livingston Co.? When will your son turn 5? The 4-H office in Mt Morris is doing free vaccinations and a showmanship clinic on Wed 5/27. You have to have your paperwork in to the office by early July to be in the Hemlock fair. Check out www.ccelivingstoncounty.org for more info.
Geneseo, NY

Quote:
We are in Honeoye Falls so Monroe County. Thanks for the link! My son will be 5 in December. We have been busy building a coop so sorry about the slow response time:) We have gone to the Hemlock Fair which has actually been what got my son started on this. Darn, which I had been keeping up on my posts as I think we missed the dates. Well, at least we will know better for next time.

Quote:
I say let him show and in breed as well as showmanship if he wants to. My kids show. Of course he will not win but that isn't the point, the point is he has fun and feels proud of himself. He's only 4 and it is a big deal to him to even have his chicken in a show. Unless of course the point is winning and he can't win with an easter egger. You could even maybe get him some kind of a ribbon to give him at the end of a show. The whole point is to let him have a great time and develop a love for chickens and I just bet the other competitors would understand that and even help him where and when they can...I know that if I saw a 4 yr old with the rauchiest, nastiest silkie on earth proudly showing it I couldn't help but to say awwwwww....and help where I could.

here in Florida it's 8
barnie.gif
You can have 4 chickens entered but show 3. i would start in showmenship so he can learn the ropes(that's what we will do) showing in breeds is crazy....your birds have to be top notch and breeders have their kids show so they win! Kinda crazy
hu.gif

It's the fun and excitment that's important! I know everyone wants to win but at that age he should just show his chicken heloves! I am sure his chicken loves him back
hugs.gif

P.S I can't spell....hahah

Last edited:
Quote:
They don't have to be top notch (snorts) not for the fun of it, just don't pin hopes on winning. The first batch of birds my kids showed at a major show had half of them disqualify for some reason. My kids still had a blast of a time. And what was a 4H thing has now morphed into a family hobby. I and the kids are now breeders and my kids show the birds, and they do win. And we don't even bother with 4H anymore or the 4H shows...no good program up here. I figure I don't need 4H for my kids to do the same things and get most of the same benefits- we just went out on our own. My kids are responsible not only for helping to care for the birds but they come up with and execute breedings of their choice.

Back
Top Bottom