Fowl mites under control ?

Just use permethrin dust and spray. For infestations, DE is known to work, but not stay consistent or not even work at all. They may still come back....
Thank you so much! If it was warm here that’s what I would do, just dip them all and clean/spray coop, but there’s no place for wet chickens right now. I worry about the permethrin dust being airborne. Any tips for dipping them when it’s below freezing? I’ve been racking my brain over this. Thank you again!!

Depends on exactly which mite you are dealing with. Some may not live more than 3 weeks in the coop itself - they rely on a Host, but the Hosts (your chickens) are still there! So the life cycle continues. Mites may be able to go dormant and live up to 8 months without a host. But then again...your coop is not empty, so there's really no need for them to go dormant.

I can appreciate your hesitancy for using pesticides. Dusting the hen with a Permethrin based poultry dust and working the dust into the crevices of their housing is what I would do in freezing weather. Personally I like using spray for housing, dust for the birds themselves.
Imho, DE is dusty too. It's not a product that I would personally use. Too many folks here on BYC have expressed frustration and sometimes bewilderment that their hens STILL have lice/mites when they have used DE and/or other remedies. These things may have their place in deterring external parasites, but once there's an infestation pesticides are needed unfortunately.
Spinosad (Elector PSP) is another product many use with good results. I have not used it, I've found that for me, Permethrin has been all that I have needed.
Thank you wyorp, I very much appreciate and respect your good advice. Do you have a specific product you’d recommend for the P. Dust? Do you wear a dust mask or respirator?

Tonight’s update: have been directly applying DE to vents and under wings nightly with the Harris puffer. Tonight there were NO mites on any vents, on or under roosts, or in cracks or crevasses. I looked VERY carefully using a bright headlamp. No mites on necks/backs/chests/bellies. No scabby or red skin, and no clumps of mite poop. Some nits on one bird. Having vet come over on weds to check the flock. She will probably advise permethrin anyway 😂. Just wanted to keep you posted on the progress.

Tonight’s update: the vet just checked out the flock. She found NO MITES!!! I have been applying DE directly to vents/under wings. Vet agreed no infestation at this point, and could not find mites in coop. It’s nighttime now. When the mites were at their worst, there were mites swarming vents.

Vet recommended continue DE treatment (she agreed it was effective!!) AND ivermectin drench (3-4 rounds of this) to eliminate mites through potential generations.

Just wanted to give update and let folx know our experience in dealing with these little critters. Thank you ALL for your help. ❤️

Great! Glad there's no mites.
So you've been applying DE almost everyday to the hens and inside the coop?
Thanks Wyorp!! No, I have not applied DE to coop since this specific mite spends its life on the chicken. Have directly applied DE to vents and underneath wings total of about 5 times so far using a DE applicator (every day to every other day). This has really minimized the overall amount of DE I have had to use. So far so good, but it’s my hope to keep this thread updated with how things go short/middle/long term.

Hi again Aart!! Thanks for your post. We actually had a hard time finding the pour-on to put topically on their skin. The pour on and drench are two very different products, and since it was hard for us to find the pour-on we had to go with the drench formula. I started this thread to document our approach to mite management and to see what works short/mid/long term using this particular approach. We are also working under the advice of an experienced vet. It’s working so far, and I am excited to document however it turns out. It’s a win win; we learn things if it does work out and we learn things if it doesn’t work out. I always appreciate your insight!!

Update: we haven’t seen a mite since Dec. we closely inspect birds and coop every night using a very bright headlamp and paper towels (stain check on roosts). We are now directly applying DE with Harris puffer every 2-3 nights. We have decided to hold off on ivermectin drench at this time as we don’t see any evidence of mites anymore. Will continue until time has lapsed through 3 mite life cycles.

Back
Top Bottom