Fowl play?

Jan 9, 2023
Ok I have googled this question many different ways and can not find an answer. I have a brown Chinese female (goose) and a brown chinese male (gander) who are mates. I also have a white Chinese male ( gander). The two browns have been mating alot the last couple months and the females been laying alot of eggs lately. So I decided to incubate some. First batch was infertile or never devolped after a couple weeks. So I tried again with a second batch. I stuck 6 in the incubator and 4 hatched out. I don't have a clue what I'm looking at to sex them, this is all new to me. Where I'm confused is out of the four that hatched three are brown and one is all white?? My question is can two browns hatch out a white or has my goose been fowling around ?? If that's the case and the white gander I have is the dad. Would that tell me the gender of the goslings ? Auto sexting?

Color genetics in geese
Sex linked means the color is only carried by the male the only color I know that is like that is buff. (similar would be Chocolate in ducks)
Auto-sexed are colors where the male has one distinctive coloring and female has a different coloring.

When you breed Brown to white you get Geese that carry both color genes most breeders call them splits male or female dost mater. They will also Cary splashes of one color or the other.

Im doing a color breeding program with my white Africans and brown Africans this year to get a good quality split that I can breed back to my whites to improve there quality. My first generation possibly my second from that breed back my whites will have mixed in colored feathers.

Im on my 2nd year of a color breeding with my Buff's and Browns. which is allot different. Since Buff is sex linked.
By breeding a pure Buff boy to a brown girl.... All the girls are buff all the boys are brown. but the boys carry the buff color. Called a BB1 (Buff Brown 1st Generation)
By breeding a Brown Boy to a Buff girl... All the babies are brown but the boys carry the buff color. Called a BB1

BB1 males will throw both color equal to both boys and girls.

Color genetics in geese
Sex linked means the color is only carried by the male the only color I know that is like that is buff. (similar would be Chocolate in ducks)
Auto-sexed are colors where the male has one distinctive coloring and female has a different coloring.

When you breed Brown to white you get Geese that carry both color genes most breeders call them splits male or female dost mater. They will also Cary splashes of one color or the other.

Im doing a color breeding program with my white Africans and brown Africans this year to get a good quality split that I can breed back to my whites to improve there quality. My first generation possibly my second from that breed back my whites will have mixed in colored feathers.

Im on my 2nd year of a color breeding with my Buff's and Browns. which is allot different. Since Buff is sex linked.
By breeding a pure Buff boy to a brown girl.... All the girls are buff all the boys are brown. but the boys carry the buff color. Called a BB1 (Buff Brown 1st Generation)
By breeding a Brown Boy to a Buff girl... All the babies are brown but the boys carry the buff color. Called a BB1

Well this is what I got from what I assumed were two browns that mate all the time.
Color genetics in geese

Color genetics in geese

So what your saying is that since I hatched different color ones then the all white male adult I have has to be the father?

It's entirely possible. A friend of mine had a pair of ducks, but apparently a wild duck took a turn, because some of the ducklings had the wild duck coloring. It's also possible, based on what you said above, that the white/white pairing is infertile.

It's entirely possible. A friend of mine had a pair of ducks, but apparently a wild duck took a turn, because some of the ducklings had the wild duck coloring. It's also possible, based on what you said above, that the white/white pairing is infertile.
White/ white pairing? Infertile? I only have one white male and two browns one female and one male 3total. I hatched four new babies 3 are brown one is white and since ones white that makes the white male the father correct?

I like how you broke that apart. If I understand (color gen gets really confusing) you only have one white he breed to a brown and you got a white pure white no black feather baby. Or are they not in feather yet. The pure white kinda confuses me. do you have a picture? Your boy may be carring a split gene.

I like how you broke that apart. If I understand (color gen gets really confusing) you only have one white he breed to a brown and you got a white pure white no black feather baby. Or are they not in feather yet. The pure white kinda confuses me. do you have a picture? Your boy may be carring a split gene.
Well they haven't feathered yet but three has the markings of a brown and one is completely solid yellow which I assume will be all white. There only 6 days old. And I don't know if my white bred with the brown but I got what I think is a white baby...lol
received_2366778863485122.jpeg

Well they haven't feathered yet but three has the markings of a brown and one is completely solid yellow which I assume will be all white. There only 6 days old. And I don't know if my white bred with the brown but I got what I think is a white baby...lolView attachment 3374569
So Beautiful thank you for the picture. Love goslings. So little black feathes may show up. Yes you have a white so we know who the daddy is (your White boy). Beak color is white also definitely a white.. Genetically it will be a split. Caring both colors. Watch your other 3 goslings for white feathers in there plumage they will also be split. I have 4 white Africans 3 girls one boy they are all 2nd generation white. 2 still display black feathers there hard to find but they have them.

Back
Top Bottom