Fowl pox and permanent reduction in egg production??

LindsaySinai

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
San Diego
Will fowl pox permanently affect their egg production? My chickens all got fowl pox a month ago and more then half the flock was 5 months and hadn't started laying? I haven't had an egg since the time they got sick which seems realistic since I read they usually don't recover for 3-5 weeks. I'm just really hoping my young ones will eventually lay.

Fowl pox is a virus from mosquitoes that only lasts about a month. There shouldn't be any long term egg laying reduction, unless there are complications or secondary infections. Did your flock have dry pox or any wet pox? Heat in summer, hens starting to molt, or worms can all have an affect on laying.

I'm pretty sure it was wet...they had stuff oozing out of their eyes and mouth. What do you do about worms? Will sprinkling DE on their food help?

It sounds like they were pretty sick. Still, after they recover they should go back to laying well. DE is pretty useless in treating worms or anything else. Valbazen and SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are 2 very good wormers. Dosage is 1/2 ml by mouth for average size birds, and repeat in 10 days. Many worm twice a year, more or less, depending on how warm and wet your environment is. Certain chicken worms (capillaria, tapeworm, or gapeworm) may need higher dosages and for several days, but a vet could perform a fecal float if you suspect a problem. Chickens can take breaks from laying for all kinds of reasons including heat of summer, cold in winter, molting season, and from diseases and worms.

That works perfect because I have goats and have a bottle of the wormer you mentioned in the fridge. I'll give them that just in case. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom