Fowl pox - can it affect the legs/feet? Pictures - need advice

CarriPage

Chirping
Feb 6, 2019
Katy, TX
We know at least two of our five girls have fowl pox. The mosquitos have been so bad since Imelda storms. Just recently we've also noticed some pink spots and maybe even a few small scabs on their legs. Not sure if it's related, but my daughter did read that it can affect any unfeathered area - including feet and legs. I'm paranoid about mites but it does not look like the scales are raised at all. Would appreciate all thoughts and advice IMG_4251.JPG IMG_4252.JPG .

Edited to add we've seen no change at all in behavior - walking fine, eating the same, laying same as before.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4257.JPG
    IMG_4257.JPG
    430.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4261.JPG
    IMG_4261.JPG
    556.2 KB · Views: 34
Fowl Pox can be found on the legs.

To me, it's possible that's what you have going on, but looks more like picking. I could be wrong. Have you notice if any of your birds are picking at their feet or at one another's feet? The one with the pinkish spots - those seem to correlate to where feather might be emerging.
There is no real treatment for Dry Fowl Pox, it will run it's course over several weeks.
I would probably apply a bit of vaseline or castor oil to the feet though if they get worse.
The scabs on the face/wattles look like peck marks.

Observe your flock during roosting time to see if they are pecking at the feet.

Back
Top Bottom