Fowl pox on baby chick! Help asap

Chickensss_25

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
My little 2 week old chick or so, got infected with fowl pox from the bigger hens. He only has it in one side of its eye and the other 3 chicks who he is with dont have it. However, ive been adding toothpaste to the infection since it actually works! My big hen had really severe fowl pox and she quickly recovered after adding toothpaste to her infection twice. I added some toothpaste to my chick a while ago but my mom is telling me that i should add some hydrogen peroxide to where the fowl pox is. My question is, is this safe? Should i add some hydrogen peroxide water to the injection? Or is that a bad idea and could possibly harm the chick? Let me know as soon as possible please!

There is no treatment for fowl pox virus. Some do put Betadine (povidine iodine) on the scabs to help dry them out. With chicks, the lesions can become so large that they can block the vision or the nostrils. Make sure the chick is getting enough to eat and drink. Plain Neosporin ointment or Terramycin eye ointment can help prevent secondary infection if scabs are near the eyes. We always appreciate pictures.

There is no treatment for fowl pox virus. Some do put Betadine (povidine iodine) on the scabs to help dry them out. With chicks, the lesions can become so large that they can block the vision or the nostrils. Make sure the chick is getting enough to eat and drink. Plain Neosporin ointment or Terramycin eye ointment can help prevent secondary infection if scabs are near the eyes. We always appreciate pictures.
Ok thanks so much! I’ll send pictures tomorrow, its currently 3:50 am and also the chick cant see from one eye anymore

I’ve heard that toothpaste will dry up a pimple but I haven’t heard it being put on fowl pox. Some people put iodine on the scabs to help.
I didn’t think it would actually work with fowl pox but it did! I addrd toothpaste all iver my chickens affected area and within a week her scars were almost all gone! She is completely fine now and its been around 2 weeks! It definitely works

Pox lasts several weeks and most older chickens recover, unless they get the wet pox, inside their beaks and throats. In chicks, however, the disease can be mire serious. Vaccines are available for those not yet exposed in hot humid mosquito-prone areas. Here is some reading about fowl pox:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks

My little 2 week old chick or so, got infected with fowl pox from the bigger hens. He only has it in one side of its eye and the other 3 chicks who he is with dont have it. However, ive been adding toothpaste to the infection since it actually works! My big hen had really severe fowl pox and she quickly recovered after adding toothpaste to her infection twice. I added some toothpaste to my chick a while ago but my mom is telling me that i should add some hydrogen peroxide to where the fowl pox is. My question is, is this safe? Should i add some hydrogen peroxide water to the injection? Or is that a bad idea and could possibly harm the chick? Let me know as soon as possible please!
Can you post some photos?
I agree, I would not use Peroxide, but I would like to understand what you mean by adding it to the injection?

Back
Top Bottom