Fowl pox??!!

Beachcomber

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
Florida
Just noticed 2 small blister-like lesions on the comb of my 23 week old Black Minorca pullet. She's very active & eating & drinking well & laying normally. I have a mixed flock from various feed stores with unknown vaccination histories. All my pullets are the same age within a week & raised together with no contact with outside poultry since I got them as day old chicks.

Is this the beginning of fowl pox? What can I do?

20200813_104249.jpg
20200813_104939.jpg

Yes, to me that looks like early blisters of fowl pox, that will turn darker and scab. Do not disturb the scabs, as that can spread the virus. Dry pox lasts about 3 weeks, and most chickens do recover, unless they develop wet pox, that causes lesions inside the beak and throat. There is no treatment. Occasionally scabs will occur around the eyes, and if that happens, I would use an antibiotic drop or ointment in the eye twice a day. Here is some info:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks

Yes, to me that looks like early blisters of fowl pox, that will turn darker and scab. Do not disturb the scabs, as that can spread the virus. Dry pox lasts about 3 weeks, and most chickens do recover, unless they develop wet pox, that causes lesions inside the beak and throat. There is no treatment. Occasionally scabs will occur around the eyes, and if that happens, I would use an antibiotic drop or ointment in the eye twice a day. Here is some info:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks

Thank you for the reply! The link you provided was also very helpful!

Should I vaccinate? Is it too late? Can I vaccinate the birds that already have small lesions?
Only 5 out of my 14 pullets are laying yet, but most are POL. Is the reason not to vaccinate laying hens because the eggs could be contaminated? I don't mind discarding eggs for a few weeks if it means my flock will be safe from the pox.

Back
Top Bottom