Fowl Pox

Cambra

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2020
Hello all!! So I am fairly new to the chicken world. I made a rookie mistake. I bought all of my chickens as day old chicks from feed stores. I have 8 currently laying, two roosters and 40 some pullets varying in ages. I purchased 5 started pullets online from what I thought was a reputable place. However, the birds arrived sick- dry fowl pox. I have them quarantined, and will keep them as such until they are recovered. I purchased the vaccine and am planning to vaccinate all chicks old enough tomorrow. My questions are- it says vaccinate 4 weeks prior to lay. So if I am understanding this correctly, I can not vaccinate my 8 laying hens. But I am not sure why as my research hasn’t said much on that. But another site I read you should vaccinate them 4 weeks prior to lay then again annually 2 weeks prior to mosquito season. I control mosquitoes already for my dogs so I wasn’t really concerned about pox until I brought in these started pullets who are infected. Thoughts on what my best course of action should be?!?! I am just really attached to my original 8 and don’t want anything to happen to them if I can prevent it! Thanks for any advice you can give!!!

Hello all!! So I am fairly new to the chicken world. I made a rookie mistake. I bought all of my chickens as day old chicks from feed stores. I have 8 currently laying, two roosters and 40 some pullets varying in ages. I purchased 5 started pullets online from what I thought was a reputable place. However, the birds arrived sick- dry fowl pox. I have them quarantined, and will keep them as such until they are recovered. I purchased the vaccine and am planning to vaccinate all chicks old enough tomorrow. My questions are- it says vaccinate 4 weeks prior to lay. So if I am understanding this correctly, I can not vaccinate my 8 laying hens. But I am not sure why as my research hasn’t said much on that. But another site I read you should vaccinate them 4 weeks prior to lay then again annually 2 weeks prior to mosquito season. I control mosquitoes already for my dogs so I wasn’t really concerned about pox until I brought in these started pullets who are infected. Thoughts on what my best course of action should be?!?! I am just really attached to my original 8 and don’t want anything to happen to them if I can prevent it! Thanks for any advice you can give!!!
I am not a vet nor do I have much knowledge on the subject. I went to my vet 2 weeks ago to get a vial of the fowl pox vaccine. She told me it would be safe to administer it to any birds older then 8 weeks (even laying hens). I asked if I would need to dispose of any of the eggs for a certain duration after vaccinatinf and she told me that the vaccine should NOT affect eggs and i should be able to eat eggs as soon as the day that they are vacxinated!

I am not a vet nor do I have much knowledge on the subject. I went to my vet 2 weeks ago to get a vial of the fowl pox vaccine. She told me it would be safe to administer it to any birds older then 8 weeks (even laying hens). I asked if I would need to dispose of any of the eggs for a certain duration after vaccinatinf and she told me that the vaccine should NOT affect eggs and i should be able to eat eggs as soon as the day that they are vacxinated!
Thank you for the reply. I had tried to speak with our vet clinic but haven’t gotten a call back!!

Back
Top Bottom