Fowl pox

Thank you for this information! This is very helpful. I just recently ordered from Valley Vet Elector psp and was able to eliminate my lice problem. Then, fowl pox arrived 😰

I hope to get antibiotics sooner than later so I’ll go to the various farm stores in town. This virus is so frustrating! I live in Portland, OR and have been raising chickens for over 12 years and this is the very first I’ve had to deal with fowl pox. We have had a huge influx of mosquitoes this year.

I am surprised you had such a bad case of pox in your flock in OR. Folks who live in the deep south tend to get the worst cases. Fortunately, if you can keep them eating and drinking, you may be able to nurse them through the month or so of illness. The shed scabs when inhaled, are still infectious for months to any who haven’t come down with pox.once they recover they should be immune to the chicken form of fowl pox later on. I hope that your birds all survive.

I’m quite surprised myself. Thank you for your kind words. I’m hopeful to contain their dander within the litter and dispose of in the trash. Unfortunately we cannot burn where I live.

I’m currently dealing with the same thing in 2 of my 3 hens - also in Portland. They look just awful. I’ve never had to deal with this before. Both girls have their eyes swollen shut and really don’t appreciate my efforts to feed them and get them to drink. It’s going to be a long few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom