Fowl pox

chickenscatsdogs

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2021
My hens have fowl pox and I’m at a loss for my two 7 year old hens. The warts on one hen’s face is so pronounced her eyes are closed shut as well as the other hen. The younger crew ages 2-4 have sores on their legs, but otherwise are fine. The old girls are barely drinking and are not eating on their own. I have them inside with a heat lamp. I’m trying to decide if it’s best to euthanize them since they’re showing very little improvement. Thanks

These photos were from yesterday, Aug 12, 2022. I have since slathered on my Colgate toothpaste on their sores as some have suggested on YouTube.

Attachments

• 9BD2FBB5-CE9D-4B66-BA20-8604F1E056C2.jpeg
    9BD2FBB5-CE9D-4B66-BA20-8604F1E056C2.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 9
  • 532B554A-1518-4262-A1B2-F162DB67F41B.jpeg
    532B554A-1518-4262-A1B2-F162DB67F41B.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 9
I’m trying to decide if it’s best to euthanize them since they’re showing very little improvement.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Wow, that's the worst I've seen, sorry you guys face this. :(

How long have they been like this?

Have you added any nutritional support.. like poultry nutri drench or rooster booster brand poultry cell.. to support their immune system function and help them recover?

Have you checked to see if insider their mouth looks like that also?

https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Are they having trouble breathing?

Knowing their age and that all life is finite and how uncomfortable mosquito bites and pox are.. I would definitely be considering euthanasia and won't let an animal slowly decline by starvation or dehydration. What I would cull, others might tube feed.

Knowing that it's a virus that can/should pass quickly.. I'm inclined to be hopeful for recovery and think that SOME discomfort is not the same as suffering.

A few folks with possibly helpful feedback.. @azygous, @Eggcessive, @Wyorp Rock, TIA for looking!

:fl

There is a vaccine for fowl pox. Several internet vet supplies sell it. You might wish to vaccinate your flock, although it won't help this chicken.

I’ve been giving them nutri drench in their water and spoon feeding them fermented chicken feed mash. They’re barely eating. It’s been a tiresome process. The warts were becoming more pronounced a week ago. It appears the warts have stopped growing, but it’s a very slow process seeing a positive change for the better.

My plan is to see how much change happens over the weekend. I hate seeing them suffer like this.

The last photo is their current set up i the house. The first two are from Aug 8th.

Attachments

• 3AF490A6-570E-4A85-BEBD-BE0FF4D9E72D.jpeg
    3AF490A6-570E-4A85-BEBD-BE0FF4D9E72D.jpeg
    610.4 KB · Views: 6
  • F3EC40DA-E902-431F-B22C-823750CCDBCB.jpeg
    F3EC40DA-E902-431F-B22C-823750CCDBCB.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 24BC0FEA-1169-447D-A227-AFB15A599616.jpeg
    24BC0FEA-1169-447D-A227-AFB15A599616.jpeg
    738.8 KB · Views: 9
There is a vaccine for fowl pox. Several internet vet supplies sell it. You might wish to vaccinate your flock, although it won't help this chicken.
Thank you! Unfortunately, my younger hens ages 2-4 are showing sores on their legs. They all are still active and eating, but lower egg production. Two of the 5 hens are molting too. Should I still vaccinate even though they’re showing symptoms?

Here's info on the vaccine and you can order it here. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=63c9bff7-0ae9-41a5-bce7-773d195ee78c

Since the vaccine uses a mild live form of pox, I have doubts about vaccinating if a chicken has active pox. But you should call the above company and ask.

In addition to active fowl pox, a chicken with heavy symptoms probably is also suffering infection from the lesions. So an oral antibiotic such as amoxicillin can be beneficial in treating the secondary infection. But the pox itself will take around four weeks to clear up. You can also get amoxicillin 250mg from the above company. Dose is one 250mg capsule daily for ten days.

Thank you! Unfortunately, my younger hens ages 2-4 are showing sores on their legs. They all are still active and eating, but lower egg production. Two of the 5 hens are molting too. Should I still vaccinate even though they’re showing symptoms?
I did a Google search...

Can you vaccinate a chicken that has fowl pox?

The vaccine is recommended for vaccination of healthy chickens aged 8 weeks or older but at least 4 weeks prior to start of lay. When used as indicated, it will aid in preventing the clinical signs caused by the virulent field strains of fowl pox virus.

You can vaccinate a flock that is infected with the disease and prevent it in the birds that are not yet infected. However, the birds that are infected cannot be cured and the disease will run its course.

Back
Top Bottom