Fowl pox

Jastrik

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2023
I have a flock of 14. In late September about 5 of them had fowl pox. I knew it had probably spread to the rest so I just made sure to tend to them last in making my morning rounds so as not to cross infect my other birds. By the end of the week all the chickens had pox on their combs and wattles. My question is: when do the combs and wattles clear all the way up? We're at the tail end of January now and I'm still using tight biosecurity measures worth this flock. Can I use something to make them disappear? All of the chickens are otherwise healthy (eating/ drinking well, no lethargy etc.)

Thank you for your help.

Welcome to BYC. Could you post pictures of the combs and wattles of a chicken or two that have the scabs of fowl pox? Since all of the chickens had pox by the end if Sept, I am wondering if there may be something else going on. Normally fowl pox lasts about a month. Once a chicken has that strain of pox, they are usually immune to it for the rest of their lives. Pox scabs once they dry up and fall off, become powdery, and may be inhaled by others, passing on the virus. The scabs remain infectious for months, so separating them usually won’t keep others from getting it. Have you seen the chickens pecking at each other?

Welcome to BYC. Could you post pictures of the combs and wattles of a chicken or two that have the scabs of fowl pox? Since all of the chickens had pox by the end if Sept, I am wondering if there may be something else going on. Normally fowl pox lasts about a month. Once a chicken has that strain of pox, they are usually immune to it for the rest of their lives. Pox scabs once they dry up and fall off, become powdery, and may be inhaled by others, passing on the virus. The scabs remain infectious for months, so separating them usually won’t keep others from getting it. Have you seen the chickens pecking at each other?
I don't think I'll be able to post pics today, I woke up sick but, I will post in the next couple of days. Thank you for responding.

Back
Top Bottom