Fowlpox and scared :( pic on page 2

PrincessKristin

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
Happily married in Texas :)
:( about half of my flock has Fowlpox. Their combs,eyes have black wart looking things on them. I have 11 hens 2 roo's and a peacock that make up my flock. A few are lethargic so I have them all on antibiotics as of today. Any other advice that my help them? I lost one hen yesterday :(

Last edited:
Antibiotics are useless against fowl pox since it's a virus. Antibiotics would only help if there's a secondary bacterial infection. If your birds have wet pox, it will appear as yellow lesions in the mouth, trachea, respiratory tract and death could ensue.
Dry pox on combs, wattles and around the eyes will eventually disappear on their own in about 3-4 weeks. You can put iodine on the lesions to help dry them. Avoid getting iodine in the eyes. Black shoe polish can be used as well. You can put a little neosporin in the birds eyes if the birds have scratched the lesions near the eyes, this will help prevent eye infections.

Thank you for replying, I will get the iodine on them first thing tomorrow morning, I have some in my emergency box. I started the antibiotics due to the runny nose and eyes on a couple of my hens who were lathargic as well. I read fowlpox is transmited from misquitos. I am near the Dallas / Ft. Worth area where the west nile has devistated many. I never dreamed they could effect my flock as well with fowlpox :hit

Last edited:
I just finished up my fowl pox, took almost 4 weeks. If yours are lethargic there may be a secondary infection. My girls had no issues other than the occasional peck from one to see if a bug is on the others comb or wattles.

I think there is a sec infection because there are other symtoms then the black spots, like runny nose and eyes. We had a very dermatic drop in temp here a few days ago, it got about 50° then back up to 80° today. I'm fighting more then one thing I am afraid of.

It's possible they could have a respiratory infection if it's not an environmental issue such as inhaling feed dust, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, pollen, pestisides on lawn etc...
Here's a link to respiratory diseases: Take a look at Infectuous Coryza, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG,) Infectuous Bronchitis (IB.)
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you VERY much for the info :) I am keeping a very close eye on them and reading n' learning all I can. This is my very first year keeping fowls. I wanted a goat but decided I have my hands full :) They seem less lathargic this morning, but it's still early. Is it possible to get sick from them? After handeling them yesterday I am super sick today. Can I get a bird flu, or sinus infect from them?

I hope things improve soon. I think I might have the same problem right now, I will try the interventions mentioned in your posts, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom