FOX almost got my babies!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mueri07, May 18, 2017.

1. mueri07

mueri07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2017
    So eating dinner last night and always let the girls free range after work for a bit to much on some goodies, and I happen to look out the window and a fox is carrying one of my girls in his mouth. I quickly ran out side and he dropped my girl and I chased that sob 3 blocks down the middles of a main road in town. Thankfully my girl wasn't hurt just very traumatized. What can I do to deter him from coming back into my yard? Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance!

The Angry Hen likes this.
  2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    He know nows for sure there is "free food" for him in your yard.
    Got a gun?

The Angry Hen likes this.
  3. mueri07

Apr 3, 2017
    yea I got a couple guns, but not ones I can shoot in the middle of town. I don't think the neighbors would like me shooting my 12 gauge in the backyard lol

4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I've not had to deal with a fox so I don't have hands on experience.
    I've read they are pretty determined.
    Keep a close eye on your flock.

5. mueri07

Apr 3, 2017
    will do, need to keep our dog out while they range, or we just need to be out there when they range. he will not get in the coop during day/night they are safe. Only when they are in the yard is it a problem. Thanks

KikisGirls likes this.
  6. CrappieJoe

CrappieJoe Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2017
    Lima, OH
    A high powered pellet guns will do the job. If you shoot for the vitals it will kill them. If you shoot in the rump it will give them second thoughts.

CuteChick369 likes this.
  7. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I would keep them cooped up for a couple of weeks so when mr fox comes back there is nothing to eat.

Gary

8. mueri07

Apr 3, 2017
    I thought about a pellet gun, I do have an old bb gun that I could use. He doesn't stay long enough for me to get a good shot. I might have to do some camping out in one of my big pines in the back make him regret messing with my girls :mad:

9. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I lost more than a few birds to the fox, in two daylight attacks. You can't be out there all the time, and the fox will be back. The answer for me was electrified poultry net (From Premier). It can be powered from household, or solar chargers. I started with 300', liked it so much, I bought 350' more. Haven't lost a bird to a ground based pred in over 5yrs. I consider buying the fence one of the best things I have done for my birds.

10. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    what type of fox is it? red or grey? you could always try to use a trap for it (havahart/any live trap big enough to hold a fox in it) but i know reds are very smart and difficult to trap, not sure too much about the grey ones as we don't have them where i live.

but best of luck to your fox problem :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by