Theerwinhomestead

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2018
Hey there,
One of my hens was attacked by a fox she only had minor wounds and was in shock. I cleaned her wounds and put neosporin on them. I left her with the rest of the flock for the first night and day but then noticed she seemed tired and was closing her eyes standing up so I separated her I put her in a crate in our garage with towels, bedding food water etc... she seemed to always be drinking and eating and the second day in isolation she laid and egg... now she is pooping green runny poops and doesn’t seem to be eating or drinking unless I hold water or food to her face... I’m just not sure what might be going on...her wounds don’t look infected. Any tips or tricks? Or thoughts on when to worry or signs of things to look for. Thanks a bunch!

Green poop may be from not eating enough. She might eat better if her crate is moved to the coop with the others. Mix up a small bowl of chicken feed, a bit of scrambled egg, and a tsp of plain yogurt, and a lot of water to make a mash. The more wtar in it the better. Offer that to her every 3 hours. Worst case scenario is that she has suffered an internal injury that has made her unable to eat.

Green poop may be from not eating enough. She might eat better if her crate is moved to the coop with the others. Mix up a small bowl of chicken feed, a bit of scrambled egg, and a tsp of plain yogurt, and a lot of water to make a mash. The more wtar in it the better. Offer that to her every 3 hours. Worst case scenario is that she has suffered an internal injury that has made her unable to eat.
Our coop isn’t big enough to put the crate in.... do you think I should put her back with the other chickens?

No, if she has wounds they may peck at them. How bad are the wounds? Do you have any pictures? Do you chickens free range in the yard? That would be a good place during the day (providing shade to her crate,) and they will stay familar with her.

No, if she has wounds they may peck at them. How bad are the wounds? Do you have any pictures? Do you chickens free range in the yard? That would be a good place during the day (providing shade to her crate,) and they will stay familar with her.
thanks! Ummm her wounds are actually all concealed under her wings and around her neck. We have a large enclosure in the backyard that they stay in most days (especially now since the fox...) we were only letting them out while we were in the yard because we have had other fox sightings and hawk attacks. There isn’t really a way to put her near them. I will try the food. Thanks. She drinks I I bring water up to her mouth and will eat out of my hand. I was originally thinking if she might be having trouble seeing.

Ok so she has eaten the several times I have brought food to her... her poop is still green I don’t think she’s eating enough... however it was a nice sunny warm day here so I brought her into the yard and she picked and scratched and ate a bunch of stuff in the yard I think the garage and the dog crate might be depressing her... think I should move her back to the coop? Her wounds aren’t visible. If so when should I do it? During the day so I can watch or at night when the rest are sleeping? Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom