Fox Discovered our Chicks.... while we were out there!!

sunshineyarns

Songster
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
So, just had this CRAZY experience and wanted to share. Just had our 5/6 week old chicks outside. They spend their days outside now and we check on them frequently. Anyways, hubby and I went out to bring them in for the night (still inside at night) and the little red fox that roams our property, comes trotting up the hill.... Surprise... he turns the corner and its the run and coop. He starts chasing the chicks from the outside of the fence, while hubby and I are standing right there!!

The fox pretty much chased the chickens and was definitely looking for a way in. It was just freaky! I had my little Wyandotte in my hand!! We were pretty sure we took all the precautions, knowing their are fox in our area, but seriously, now I am doubting EVERYTHING!!!

So, what can I do to make my nerves calm down?!?! We currently have a 7 foot fence with 1/2" hardwire cloth lined up to the top, and from the outside (so, no posts for him to jump up onto), and the hardwire cloth actually goes up above the posts by about 6". We buried it about a foot down, and have REALLY rocky soil. We lined both sides of the fence with large rocks/small boulders. The run is not covered, and we really don't have that option. The coop itself (when the chicks move in there) is locked and totally secure. I'm just so freaked out, as the fox was trying to get in there while we were in there... so all these old wives tales about human hair, urine?! Not buying it... what should I do... electrify?! Is that safe for the chickens?

I would have to agree with Gavin. Once a fox finds in quarry, as you can tell, they are very determined. I wouldn't trust 1' buried. I would attach 4' cyclone and stake it flat, so if it tries to dig down it will hit the fence as far away as 4'. If it were me, I would spend the <$1 option and remove the threat. "sly as a fox", one mistake or miscalculation on your part and your investment is down the drain, along with some heart break. I would protect my flock. If you don't want to use lethal means, you could always trap it and relocate. at any rate, good luck and I hope flock stays safe. Fox running around with you standing there would cause me concern, kinda weird.....

Thanks --- I'll have to look up and see the 4' cyclones and what those are!

Last edited:
Guess thats where they got that saying : "SLY AS A FOX", and he is honnnngry!
gig.gif
Shoot that sucker and get it over with or you will be replacing chickens (and you know how we are.....if you have 6 now, you'll buy triple that next time.
smile.png

Foxes can and do climb fences, the grey fox can even climb trees with ease. It is in your favor that the fox is not that alarmed by your presence, I would use a chick in a wire cage as bait and nail the fox with a load of 12 ga. #4 shot. Otherwise he will eventually clean you out of your little chickies...

I know im the minority here but i have to say. DONT shoot the fox. It is doing what comes natural to it. It doesnt realize that your chickens arent suppose to be food. But i also understand that you wanna protect your chickens. But please just do the human thing and either catch and relocate it or call animal control and have them do it. It is kinda worrying that it would try and go after the chickens when you were standing there, but if it is a female then it could have had cubs to feed. This is another reason you should not just shoot it. You wouldnt be killing one animal you could be killing 4 or 5. Also a good reason to have animal control do it they can find out if she has cubs and relocate them to so they dont die. And I know it is scary when you see this but you will eventually have to put them outside. Unless you have indoor chickens which i know a lot of us do. But it isnt for everyone.
big_smile.png
Hope you figure out something to keep your babies safe.

If you dont want to shoot it, then definetly get a live trap. You dont want to take any chances and definetly you should p ut up some electric wire on top of fence and put fencing 3 or 4 feet in the ground. There could be more than that one. I would also say that if you catch him then relocate him and set the trap again and again and again. You never know how many there are. If you cant afford electric fence then maybe you can put fence up there and bend it outward so if the fox climbs the fence it cant get past it. Be creative and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom